Putty problem with characters - SSH

This is a discussion on Putty problem with characters - SSH ; Hi all, Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Wilbert Smeets, 28 years old, Netherlands. Today I've leased a server, logged into it to start setting up websites and found that my Putty doesn't display chars like '' ...

  1. Putty problem with characters

    Hi all,

    Let me start by introducing myself.
    My name is Wilbert Smeets, 28 years old, Netherlands.
    Today I've leased a server, logged into it to start setting up websites
    and found that my Putty doesn't display chars like '' correctly.
    I was hoping that someone here might be able to tell me what is causing
    this. I know it's not exactly security-related, but hopefully someone
    can and is willing to help me out.

    Cheers,

    Wilbert

  2. Re: Putty problem with characters

    Wilbert Smeets writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Let me start by introducing myself.
    > My name is Wilbert Smeets, 28 years old, Netherlands.
    > Today I've leased a server, logged into it to start setting up
    > websites and found that my Putty doesn't display chars like ''

    If that's an e with two dots above it, I'm in putty as I type seeing
    it correctly.

    Under Windows;Translation settings, I'm using what I believe is the
    default charset of ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)

    My TERM setting is screen, but I imagine a linux term works just as
    well. I'm not sure what other settings come into play, but I can at
    least give you hope that it's a configuration issue and not a putty
    capability issue.

    I'm assuming you're using a relatively recent putty as well.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Putty problem with characters

    Ah, I happened to use the same ISO, I have changed it now to UTF-8 and
    the problem is solved!

    Thanks a lot!

    Wilbert

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Wilbert Smeets writes:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Let me start by introducing myself.
    >> My name is Wilbert Smeets, 28 years old, Netherlands.
    >> Today I've leased a server, logged into it to start setting up
    >> websites and found that my Putty doesn't display chars like ''

    > If that's an e with two dots above it, I'm in putty as I type seeing
    > it correctly.
    >
    > Under Windows;Translation settings, I'm using what I believe is the
    > default charset of ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)
    >
    > My TERM setting is screen, but I imagine a linux term works just as
    > well. I'm not sure what other settings come into play, but I can at
    > least give you hope that it's a configuration issue and not a putty
    > capability issue.
    >
    > I'm assuming you're using a relatively recent putty as well.
    >
    > Best Regards,

+ Reply to Thread