known_hosts file and public key authentication in ssh - SSH

This is a discussion on known_hosts file and public key authentication in ssh - SSH ; Hi, I would appreciate some information. I am trying to use RSA/DSA key authentication for ssh(scp etc) so I don't need to type password each time when transferring files between my host and server machines. I implemented this in my ...

  1. known_hosts file and public key authentication in ssh

    Hi,

    I would appreciate some information.

    I am trying to use RSA/DSA key authentication for ssh(scp etc) so I
    don't need to type password each time when transferring files between
    my host and server machines. I implemented this in my code. But I
    noticed that to talk to the machine and does not have an entry in my
    known_hosts file, I still need to hit "yes" manually when the
    fingerprint warning prompts up.

    Is there a way to make ssh/scp completely work without human
    intervention using public key authentication and also bypass the
    known_hosts file?

    Thanks
    Dave

  2. Re: known_hosts file and public key authentication in ssh

    dyu9999> Hi, I would appreciate some information.

    dyu9999> I am trying to use RSA/DSA key authentication for ssh(scp
    dyu9999> etc) so I don't need to type password each time when
    dyu9999> transferring files between my host and server machines. I
    dyu9999> implemented this in my code. But I noticed that to talk to
    dyu9999> the machine and does not have an entry in my known_hosts
    dyu9999> file, I still need to hit "yes" manually when the fingerprint
    dyu9999> warning prompts up.

    dyu9999> Is there a way to make ssh/scp completely work without human
    dyu9999> intervention using public key authentication and also bypass
    dyu9999> the known_hosts file?

    ssh -ostricthostkeychecking=no -oUserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null

    Of course, this is insecure; there's a reason for the warning.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: known_hosts file and public key authentication in ssh

    dyu9999@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would appreciate some information.
    >
    > I am trying to use RSA/DSA key authentication for ssh(scp etc) so I
    > don't need to type password each time when transferring files between
    > my host and server machines. I implemented this in my code. But I
    > noticed that to talk to the machine and does not have an entry in my
    > known_hosts file, I still need to hit "yes" manually when the
    > fingerprint warning prompts up.

    But you only have to say 'yes' once.. what's a big deal.. You had to copy
    your public key anyway at the first time.

    If it keep asking you, you may have some configuration issues ?

    [snip]

    --
    Martin

+ Reply to Thread