Use putty as command console for Windows Vista - SSH

This is a discussion on Use putty as command console for Windows Vista - SSH ; Hi, I am wondering whether anybody knows how to do this. Currently, I am using rxvt in Cygwin and not satisfied with it. I saw someone on the internet said that it is possible to use putty as command console ...

  1. Use putty as command console for Windows Vista

    Hi,

    I am wondering whether anybody knows how to do this. Currently, I am
    using rxvt in Cygwin and not satisfied with it. I saw someone on the
    internet said that it is possible to use putty as command console by
    using loopback mechanism. I am not familiar with this and cannot
    figure out how to do this. I can't find details on the internet
    either. I will appreciate if anybody can show me how to do this.
    Thanks.

    Paul.

  2. Re: Use putty as command console for Windows Vista

    paulaugust2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I am wondering whether anybody knows how to do this. Currently, I am
    > using rxvt in Cygwin and not satisfied with it.

    Anything in particular you can mention?

    > I saw someone on the
    > internet said that it is possible to use putty as command console by
    > using loopback mechanism. I am not familiar with this and cannot
    > figure out how to do this. I can't find details on the internet
    > either. I will appreciate if anybody can show me how to do this.

    I would assume they mean to run the ssh server (under cygwin) and then
    connect to it from putty (to 'localhost').

    I'd not really tried it before but it appears to work fine for me. I
    wouldn't call it a "command console" (that name has windows command
    shell overtones for me that don't seem appropriate), but it should be
    the same as running a cygwin shell in an rxvt window (which seems to be
    what you want to replace).

    Admittedly, I'm doing this under XP, but I would think Vista to be the
    same in this regard

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Use putty as command console for Windows Vista

    Darren,

    thanks for the reply. rxvt is fine to me. It just doesn't look like a
    regular window in MS-Windows and requires to install cygwin (using
    rxvt is probably the only reason I installed cygwin). Since I use
    putty a lot and really like it, that is why I hope to replace rxvt
    with putty. If I have to install cygwin to use putty, then I probably
    just stick to rxvt. Thank you.

    Paul.

    On Jul 13, 6:57 pm, Darren Dunham wrote:
    > paulaugust2...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I am wondering whether anybody knows how to do this. Currently, I am
    > > using rxvt in Cygwin and not satisfied with it.

    > Anything in particular you can mention?
    >
    > > I saw someone on the
    > > internet said that it is possible to use putty as command console by
    > > using loopback mechanism. I am not familiar with this and cannot
    > > figure out how to do this. I can't find details on the internet
    > > either. I will appreciate if anybody can show me how to do this.

    > I would assume they mean to run the ssh server (under cygwin) and then
    > connect to it from putty (to 'localhost').
    >
    > I'd not really tried it before but it appears to work fine for me. I
    > wouldn't call it a "command console" (that name has windows command
    > shell overtones for me that don't seem appropriate), but it should be
    > the same as running a cygwin shell in an rxvt window (which seems to be
    > what you want to replace).
    >
    > Admittedly, I'm doing this under XP, but I would think Vista to be the
    > same in this regard
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddun...@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

+ Reply to Thread