The scp protocol - SSH

This is a discussion on The scp protocol - SSH ; Is this protocol described anywhere?...

  1. The scp protocol

    Is this protocol described anywhere?

  2. Re: The scp protocol

    "James H. Newman" writes:

    > Is this protocol described anywhere?

    Probably the best place is the snail book.

    http://www.snailbook.com/

    But cribbed from putty's page, there are a number of related
    standards, but no one good place so far as I can tell:

    * RFC 4250: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Assigned Numbers
    * RFC 4251: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Architecture
    * RFC 4252: The Secure Shell (SSH) Authentication Protocol
    * RFC 4253: The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol
    * RFC 4254: The Secure Shell (SSH) Connection Protocol
    * RFC 4256: Generic Message Exchange Authentication for the Secure
    Shell Protocol (SSH)
    * RFC 4335: The Secure Shell (SSH) Session Channel Break Extension
    * RFC 4344: The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Encryption
    Modes (in part)
    * RFC 4345: Improved Arcfour Modes for the Secure Shell (SSH)
    Transport Layer Protocol
    * RFC 4419: Diffie-Hellman Group Exchange for the Secure Shell
    (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol
    * RFC 4432: RSA Key Exchange for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport
    Layer Protocol
    * RFC 4716: The Secure Shell (SSH) Public Key File Format
    * IETF Secure Shell working group drafts:
    o filexfer

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: The scp protocol

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:15:15 -0500, Todd H. wrote:

    > "James H. Newman" writes:
    >
    >> Is this protocol described anywhere?

    > Probably the best place is the snail book.
    >
    > http://www.snailbook.com/
    >
    > But cribbed from putty's page, there are a number of related standards,
    > but no one good place so far as I can tell:
    >
    > * RFC 4250: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Assigned Numbers * RFC
    > 4251: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Architecture * RFC 4252: The
    > Secure Shell (SSH) Authentication Protocol * RFC 4253: The Secure
    > Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol * RFC 4254: The Secure Shell
    > (SSH) Connection Protocol * RFC 4256: Generic Message Exchange
    > Authentication for the Secure
    > Shell Protocol (SSH)
    > * RFC 4335: The Secure Shell (SSH) Session Channel Break Extension *
    > RFC 4344: The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Encryption
    > Modes (in part)
    > * RFC 4345: Improved Arcfour Modes for the Secure Shell (SSH)
    > Transport Layer Protocol
    > * RFC 4419: Diffie-Hellman Group Exchange for the Secure Shell
    > (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol
    > * RFC 4432: RSA Key Exchange for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport
    > Layer Protocol
    > * RFC 4716: The Secure Shell (SSH) Public Key File Format * IETF
    > Secure Shell working group drafts:
    > o filexfer

    Thanks. However, none of those documents have to do with the scp
    protocol.

  4. Re: The scp protocol

    "James H. Newman" writes:

    > On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:15:15 -0500, Todd H. wrote:
    >
    > > "James H. Newman" writes:
    > >
    > >> Is this protocol described anywhere?

    > > Probably the best place is the snail book.
    > >
    > > http://www.snailbook.com/
    > >
    > > But cribbed from putty's page, there are a number of related standards,
    > > but no one good place so far as I can tell:
    > >
    > > * RFC 4250: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Assigned Numbers * RFC
    > > 4251: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Architecture * RFC 4252: The
    > > Secure Shell (SSH) Authentication Protocol * RFC 4253: The Secure
    > > Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol * RFC 4254: The Secure Shell
    > > (SSH) Connection Protocol * RFC 4256: Generic Message Exchange
    > > Authentication for the Secure
    > > Shell Protocol (SSH)
    > > * RFC 4335: The Secure Shell (SSH) Session Channel Break Extension *
    > > RFC 4344: The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Encryption
    > > Modes (in part)
    > > * RFC 4345: Improved Arcfour Modes for the Secure Shell (SSH)
    > > Transport Layer Protocol
    > > * RFC 4419: Diffie-Hellman Group Exchange for the Secure Shell
    > > (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol
    > > * RFC 4432: RSA Key Exchange for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport
    > > Layer Protocol
    > > * RFC 4716: The Secure Shell (SSH) Public Key File Format * IETF
    > > Secure Shell working group drafts:
    > > o filexfer
    > >

    > Thanks. However, none of those documents have to do with the scp
    > protocol.

    Which is why I started with suggesting the OReily book on SSH as your
    best bet.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: The scp protocol

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:27:30 -0500, Todd H. wrote:

    > "James H. Newman" writes:

    >> > Probably the best place is the snail book.
    >> >
    >> > http://www.snailbook.com/
    >> >
    >> > But cribbed from putty's page, there are a number of related
    >> > standards, but no one good place so far as I can tell:
    >> >
    >> > * RFC 4250: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Assigned Numbers *
    >> > RFC 4251: The Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Architecture * RFC
    >> > 4252: The Secure Shell (SSH) Authentication Protocol * RFC 4253:
    >> > The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol * RFC 4254: The
    >> > Secure Shell (SSH) Connection Protocol * RFC 4256: Generic
    >> > Message Exchange Authentication for the Secure
    >> > Shell Protocol (SSH)
    >> > * RFC 4335: The Secure Shell (SSH) Session Channel Break
    >> > Extension * RFC 4344: The Secure Shell (SSH) Transport Layer
    >> > Encryption
    >> > Modes (in part)
    >> > * RFC 4345: Improved Arcfour Modes for the Secure Shell (SSH)
    >> > Transport Layer Protocol
    >> > * RFC 4419: Diffie-Hellman Group Exchange for the Secure Shell
    >> > (SSH) Transport Layer Protocol
    >> > * RFC 4432: RSA Key Exchange for the Secure Shell (SSH) Transport
    >> > Layer Protocol
    >> > * RFC 4716: The Secure Shell (SSH) Public Key File Format * IETF
    >> > Secure Shell working group drafts:
    >> > o filexfer
    >> >

    >> Thanks. However, none of those documents have to do with the scp
    >> protocol.

    > Which is why I started with suggesting the OReily book on SSH as your
    > best bet.

    Thanks again. The snail book doesn't have much to say about the
    scp protocol itself, other than it is little more than rcp over SSH. It
    would seem that there are no written documents for either scp or rcp.

  6. Re: The scp protocol

    "James H. Newman" writes:
    > Thanks again. The snail book doesn't have much to say about the
    >scp protocol itself, other than it is little more than rcp over SSH. It
    >would seem that there are no written documents for either scp or rcp.

    Mostly because there isn't much to say. There's not really a protocol.
    It just opens up an rsh | cp across the network and thats about it.

    There's going to be 3-4 open-source versions of rcp out there, in
    addition to the couple SSH package sources. This is one of those times
    where the source documents the protocol.

  7. Re: The scp protocol

    Ref: <4696ba5c$0$79264$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews .com> de Doug McIntyre

    >Mostly because there isn't much to say. There's not really a protocol.
    >It just opens up an rsh | cp across the network and thats about it.

    Since some non un*x based systems support scp as a server (multinet ssh for
    OpenVMS for example) [even if I imagine that those systems mimics un*x in those
    case], I suppose that the conversation between client and server should be
    somehow formalized to succeed.
    --
    Gilles "Cool Raoul" - http://coolraoul.cvp-net.com/

  8. Re: The scp protocol

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > Mostly because there isn't much to say. There's not really a protocol.
    > It just opens up an rsh | cp across the network and thats about it.

    There certainly is a protocol. There's a method of transmitting
    error codes, a method of transmitting file permissions, a procedure
    for recursing into subdirectories, a method (appallingly badly
    specified) for requesting multiple files from the destination via a
    wildcard ... There's plenty of stuff that could perfectly sensibly
    (and should) be documented. It's just that, as far as I'm aware,
    nobody has done.

    > There's going to be 3-4 open-source versions of rcp out there, in
    > addition to the couple SSH package sources. This is one of those times
    > where the source documents the protocol.

    Unfortunately, this is indeed the best way I know of to learn about
    old-style scp.
    --
    Simon Tatham "I thought I'd put my foot so far into my mouth I
    wouldn't be able to sit down without standing up."

+ Reply to Thread