The meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet - SSH

This is a discussion on The meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet - SSH ; I am confused about the meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet, as described in section 5.2 of RFC 4254. If the number of bytes to add included in this packet is N, and the current window size is W, ...

  1. The meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet

    I am confused about the meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust
    packet, as described in section 5.2 of RFC 4254. If the number of bytes
    to add included in this packet is N, and the current window size is W,
    what is the window size after receiving this packet? N + W? N? Something
    else?

  2. Re: The meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet

    H.K. Kingston-Smith wrote:
    > I am confused about the meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust
    > packet, as described in section 5.2 of RFC 4254. If the number of bytes
    > to add included in this packet is N, and the current window size is W,
    > what is the window size after receiving this packet? N + W? N? Something
    > else?

    N+W. Note `bytes _to add_', and `the recipient MAY send the given
    number of bytes _more than it was previously allowed to send_' (my
    emphasis).
    --
    Simon Tatham "My heart bleeds.
    (That's how it works.)" -- Gareth Taylor

  3. Re: The meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:59:43 +0100, Simon Tatham wrote:

    > H.K. Kingston-Smith wrote:
    >> I am confused about the meaning of the SSH-2 window adjust packet, as
    >> described in section 5.2 of RFC 4254. If the number of bytes to add
    >> included in this packet is N, and the current window size is W, what is
    >> the window size after receiving this packet? N + W? N? Something else?

    > N+W. Note `bytes _to add_', and `the recipient MAY send the given number
    > of bytes _more than it was previously allowed to send_' (my emphasis).

    Thanks for your answer. I guess that my doubt comes precisely
    from that 'previously', which can be interpreted as 'the last time that
    window information was sent (regardless of the window value at that
    point)' or 'the value of the window size when this window adjust packet
    is received'. Of course, with the former interpretation it makes no sense
    to keep adding bytes, for the window size would only increase.

+ Reply to Thread