ssh login error : Permission denied, please try again - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh login error : Permission denied, please try again - SSH ; I created the user "operator" but cannot ssh to the computer. Please help. # useradd operator -p "\$1\$nrKQ3Kh3\$2xfjrejrejreklffdfdpj/" -s /bin/ bash -u 0 -o -g 0 # mkdir -p /home/operator # chage -d 0 operator # echo "AllowUsers operator" >> ...

  1. ssh login error : Permission denied, please try again

    I created the user "operator" but cannot ssh to the computer.
    Please help.

    # useradd operator -p "\$1\$nrKQ3Kh3\$2xfjrejrejreklffdfdpj/" -s /bin/
    bash -u 0 -o -g 0
    # mkdir -p /home/operator
    # chage -d 0 operator

    # echo "AllowUsers operator" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config

    # ssh operator@my.com
    operator@my.com's password:
    Permission denied, please try again.

  2. Re: ssh login error : Permission denied, please try again

    wong_powah@yahoo.ca writes:

    ># echo "AllowUsers operator" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config

    You need to restart the sshd daemon after that change, else it
    will continue to use the old config.

  3. Re: ssh login error : Permission denied, please try again

    On Jul 6, 11:52 pm, Neil W Rickert wrote:
    > wong_po...@yahoo.ca writes:
    > ># echo "AllowUsers operator" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config

    > You need to restart the sshd daemon after that change, else it
    > will continue to use the old config.

    I restart the sshd daemon after that change, but still has a problem.

    # tail -n 30 /var/log/secure
    Jul 9 14:50:52 rose sshd[899]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication
    failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=172.20.11.46
    user=operator
    Jul 9 14:50:54 rose sshd[899]: Failed password for operator from
    172.20.11.46 port 38341 ssh2

  4. Re: ssh login error : Permission denied, please try again

    wong_powah@yahoo.ca schreef:
    > Jul 9 14:50:54 rose sshd[899]: Failed password for operator from
    > 172.20.11.46 port 38341 ssh2

    If you know the password, try setting it with "passwd operator". You
    might've skewed the hash or the current system does not support/allow MD5.

    I noticed you're setting UID 0 and GID 0. It might be a much better idea
    to use sudo instead. It allows some more security, does not break silly
    programs and scripts which rely on the name "root" and logs all commands
    executed with it.

+ Reply to Thread