SSH compile error - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH compile error - SSH ; I just installed OpenSSH 4.6p1 on my laptop which runs a fresh install of Slackware 11.0, and that went very successfully. When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error messages. Most of them ...

  1. SSH compile error

    I just installed OpenSSH 4.6p1 on my laptop which runs a fresh install
    of Slackware 11.0, and that went very successfully.

    When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error
    messages. Most of them are coming from a file called "divmod_1.c",
    reporting syntax errors and stuff, as posted below:

    divmod_1.c:191: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    divmod_1.c:193: error: syntax error before "if"
    divmod_1.c:204: error: syntax error before ':' token
    make[3]: *** [divmod_1.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    mpn'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    mpn'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2'
    make: *** [gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/libgmp.a] Error 2

    There was a big long list of other divmod errors above that. I have
    very little experience in Shell and C programming. I'm just trying to
    install SSH1 and 2. When I installed Slackware, I did a full install,
    and I realize that SSH was automatically installed. I did in fact use
    it before I obtained the latest source code. I'm just doing this for
    the sake of installing new software, and getting experience with SSH.

    Any ideas about where to start? If someone could point me in the
    right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

    Steven

  2. Re: SSH compile error

    SB> There was a big long list of other divmod errors above that. I
    SB> have very little experience in Shell and C programming. I'm just
    SB> trying to install SSH1 and 2.

    You realize that there is no functional reason to install SSH1, as OpenSSH
    implements both versions of the protocol...

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: SSH compile error

    Steven Borrelli writes:

    >When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error
    >messages. Most of them are coming from a file called "divmod_1.c",
    >reporting syntax errors and stuff, as posted below:

    The last time I compiled that was in 2002. There isn't much effort
    being put into keeping that software up-to-date.

    The chances are that there is a problem related to your include
    files. I suggest manually running that program through the
    preprocessor (usually add a '-E' to the "cc" or "gcc" command),
    then try compiling the preprocessor output. The problem will likely
    be obvious in the preprocessor output.

    Assuming you find it, you then will have to decide how to deal with
    the problem. Choosing not to install SSH 1.2.33 comes to mind as
    the simplest option.

  4. Re: SSH compile error

    On 2007-07-06, Steven Borrelli wrote:

    > I just installed OpenSSH 4.6p1 on my laptop which runs a fresh install
    > of Slackware 11.0, and that went very successfully.
    >
    > When I tried doing a "make" on SSH 1.2.33, I got a bunch of error
    > messages. Most of them are coming from a file called "divmod_1.c",
    > reporting syntax errors and stuff, as posted below:
    >
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > divmod_1.c:191: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
    > divmod_1.c:193: error: syntax error before "if"
    > divmod_1.c:204: error: syntax error before ':' token
    > make[3]: *** [divmod_1.o] Error 1
    > make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    > mpn'
    > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    > make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/
    > mpn'
    > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    > make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/ssh-1.2.33/gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2'
    > make: *** [gmp-2.0.2-ssh-2/libgmp.a] Error 2
    >
    > There was a big long list of other divmod errors above that.

    You need to pay most attention to the first error that shows. The
    rest may be spurious errors produced by the first one.

    Supposing what you show had been the first errors you would then read
    the divmod_1.c file and see what is happening on line 191, etc.

    As others have said; SSH 1.2.33 is not recommended anyway.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

+ Reply to Thread