Looking for Subversion server-side SSH key manager - SSH

This is a discussion on Looking for Subversion server-side SSH key manager - SSH ; Morning, folks: Subversion has long had a fundamental flaw in its Linux or UNIX command line clients: like CVS, from which it evolved, it stores passwords locally in the clear on the client side. Using SSH or HTTPS authentication does ...

  1. Looking for Subversion server-side SSH key manager

    Morning, folks:

    Subversion has long had a fundamental flaw in its Linux or UNIX
    command line clients: like CVS, from which it evolved, it stores
    passwords locally in the clear on the client side. Using SSH or HTTPS
    authentication does not address this. Many good clients, such as
    TortoiseSVN, use the local operating system's password storage, but
    for CygWin or Linux or UNIX clients, it's an amazingly fundamental
    security problem.

    The remaining more securable approaches are basically SSH based: the
    "svn+ssh" approach normally has a designated SSH user on the server,
    with SSH public keys stored under a particular account name on the
    server (http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06s03.html), with the SSH
    keys set to restrict the operations usable by that shared account.

    That's fine, but leaves the problem of "how do authenticated users
    change or add new keys"? So I'm looking for an SSH key management
    tool. Ideally a simple web GUI to allow a set of authenticated users
    (such as Active-Directory or Kerberos based password web
    authentication) to be able to set new SSH keys. Upload is fine: but
    given the presence of Windows users and the interactions of Pageant
    generated SSH keys, I think that downloading the private keys would be
    easier, and would allow forcing the user to have a passphrase based
    key at least to start out with.

    Does anyone have such a tool already built, or something close to it?

  2. Re: Looking for Subversion server-side SSH key manager

    Zawartość nagłówka ["Followup-To:" comp.os.linux.security.]
    On 16.06.2007, Nico wrote:
    > Morning, folks:
    >
    > Subversion has long had a fundamental flaw in its Linux or UNIX
    > command line clients: like CVS, from which it evolved, it stores
    > passwords locally in the clear on the client side. Using SSH or HTTPS
    > authentication does not address this. Many good clients, such as
    > TortoiseSVN, use the local operating system's password storage, but
    > for CygWin or Linux or UNIX clients, it's an amazingly fundamental
    > security problem.

    Erm. How would you like to store Subversion password? Subversion must be
    able to read it. If the password is encrypted in any way, Subversion
    must ask user for decryption key. Otherwise everything could be stored
    as plain text, since "encryption with publicly known key" is no
    encryption at all. "Windows password storage", whatever are you talking
    about, is affected exactly by the same facts. It's just a matter of
    reading appropriate object from the system.

    --
    Secunia non olet.
    Stanislaw Klekot

+ Reply to Thread