Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password? - SSH

This is a discussion on Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password? - SSH ; I'd like to use the PSFTP utility from Putty to automate access to an SFTP server. It basically works fine, but I've run into a stumbling block when an error occurs. I'm running PSFTP 0.60 that I just downloaded. If ...

  1. Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password?

    I'd like to use the PSFTP utility from Putty to automate access to an SFTP
    server. It basically works fine, but I've run into a stumbling block when an
    error occurs. I'm running PSFTP 0.60 that I just downloaded.

    If I try to access a server and have the username/password wrong, PSFTP
    displays an error message ('Access denied') and then hangs there and never
    terminates. If I hit ^C it will terminate. Since I'm trying to automate the
    connection, having it hang is a bad thing for me. The documentation states
    that PSFTP should simply terminate in this condition and that would be
    logical.

    The command line I'm using is simply

    PSFTP -l username -pw password -P port ftp.testserver.com

    If I put a garbage value for either the username or password, PSFTP displays
    "Access Denied" and then hangs up until I kill it with ^C. I'm assuming this
    is a client issue, but I only have a single SFTP server to test against so I
    can't prove it.

    Is this a PSFTP bug or is there something else I should be doing? Thanks for
    the help!

  2. Re: Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password?

    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Could someone who has Putty loaded at
    least try the command line and let me know if you have the same issue? I
    don't have any other SFTP servers to connect to so I'm at a big disadvantage
    debugging this.

    Thanks!

    "Scott Bussinger" wrote in message
    news:c3Bci.149163$d22.60630@fe03.news.easynews.com ...
    > I'd like to use the PSFTP utility from Putty to automate access to an SFTP
    > server. It basically works fine, but I've run into a stumbling block when
    > an error occurs. I'm running PSFTP 0.60 that I just downloaded.
    >
    > If I try to access a server and have the username/password wrong, PSFTP
    > displays an error message ('Access denied') and then hangs there and never
    > terminates. If I hit ^C it will terminate. Since I'm trying to automate
    > the connection, having it hang is a bad thing for me. The documentation
    > states that PSFTP should simply terminate in this condition and that would
    > be logical.
    >
    > The command line I'm using is simply
    >
    > PSFTP -l username -pw password -P port ftp.testserver.com
    >
    > If I put a garbage value for either the username or password, PSFTP
    > displays "Access Denied" and then hangs up until I kill it with ^C. I'm
    > assuming this is a client issue, but I only have a single SFTP server to
    > test against so I can't prove it.
    >
    > Is this a PSFTP bug or is there something else I should be doing? Thanks
    > for the help!

  3. Re: Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password?

    Hey Scott,
    I am having the same problem. If either the user name or the password
    is wrong PuTTY just hangs up. I am unable to find any documentation on
    this.
    I appreciate your help if you can share any info on this with me. (if
    you already figured out something about this!)

    Thanks,
    Surya

    On 19 Jun, 16:54, "Scott Bussinger" wrote:
    > Anyone have any thoughts on this? Could someone who has Putty loaded at
    > least try the command line and let me know if you have the same issue? I
    > don't have any other SFTP servers to connect to so I'm at a big disadvantage
    > debugging this.
    >
    > Thanks!

  4. Re: Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password?

    I haven't found a real solution, but I did figure out that it's a relatively
    recent issue. If I downgrade to an older version of psftp, the hang up
    doesn't occur.

    wrote in message
    news:1182550932.086774.274680@q19g2000prn.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hey Scott,
    > I am having the same problem. If either the user name or the password
    > is wrong PuTTY just hangs up. I am unable to find any documentation on
    > this.
    > I appreciate your help if you can share any info on this with me. (if
    > you already figured out something about this!)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Surya
    >

    > On 19 Jun, 16:54, "Scott Bussinger" wrote:
    >> Anyone have any thoughts on this? Could someone who has Putty loaded at
    >> least try the command line and let me know if you have the same issue? I
    >> don't have any other SFTP servers to connect to so I'm at a big
    >> disadvantage
    >> debugging this.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  5. Re: Putty PSFTP hangs on bad username/password?

    Just confirming that it is a problem with the latest release- psftp Release 0.60

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread