SunOS 5.9 to AIX 5.3 ssh getting Connection closed - SSH

This is a discussion on SunOS 5.9 to AIX 5.3 ssh getting Connection closed - SSH ; I've tried a number of things but can't figure out what's going on. This worked as of May 31 and then started getting this error--no known changes from that date. Soliciting ideas... sunbox# ssh -v TARGETBOX Sun_SSH_1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, ...

  1. SunOS 5.9 to AIX 5.3 ssh getting Connection closed

    I've tried a number of things but can't figure out what's going on.
    This worked as of May 31 and then started getting this error--no known
    changes from that date. Soliciting ideas...

    sunbox# ssh -v TARGETBOX
    Sun_SSH_1.1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090700f
    debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
    trusted.
    debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to TARGETBOX [53.230.188.110] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /home/testid/.ssh/identity type -1
    debug1: identity file /home/testid/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
    debug1: identity file /home/testid/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
    debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version
    OpenSSH_3.8p1
    debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.8p1 pat
    OpenSSH_3.6*,OpenSSH_3.7*,OpenSSH_3.8*
    debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-Sun_SSH_1.1
    debug1: Failed to acquire GSS-API credentials for any mechanisms (No
    credentials were supplied, or the credentials were unavailable or
    inaccessible
    mech_dh: Invalid or unknown error
    )
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
    debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
    debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
    debug1: Peer sent proposed langtags, ctos:
    debug1: Peer sent proposed langtags, stoc:
    debug1: We proposed langtags, ctos: en-US
    debug1: We proposed langtags, stoc: en-US
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
    debug1: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 138/256
    debug1: bits set: 530/1024
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
    debug1: Host 'TARGETBOX' is known and matches the RSA host key.
    debug1: Found key in /home/testid/.ssh/known_hosts:2452
    debug1: bits set: 492/1024
    debug1: newkeys: mode 1
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
    debug1: newkeys: mode 0
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
    debug1: done: ssh_kex2.
    debug1: send SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST
    debug1: got SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT
    debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-
    interactive
    debug1: Trying private key: /home/testid/.ssh/identity
    debug1: Trying public key: /home/testid/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 149 lastkey 1140b0 hint
    1
    debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
    debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey)
    debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
    debug1: send channel open 0
    debug1: Entering interactive session.
    debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
    debug1: channel request 0: env
    debug1: channel request 0: env
    debug1: channel request 0: env
    debug1: channel request 0: env
    debug1: channel request 0: env
    debug1: channel request 0: pty-req
    debug1: channel request 0: shell
    debug1: fd 4 setting TCP_NODELAY
    debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768

    debug1: channel 0: rcvd eof
    debug1: channel 0: output open -> drain
    debug1: channel 0: obuf empty
    debug1: channel 0: close_write
    debug1: channel 0: output drain -> closed
    debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
    debug1: channel 0: rcvd close
    debug1: channel 0: close_read
    debug1: channel 0: input open -> closed
    debug1: channel 0: almost dead
    debug1: channel 0: gc: notify user
    debug1: channel 0: gc: user detached
    debug1: channel 0: send close
    debug1: channel 0: is dead
    debug1: channel 0: garbage collecting
    debug1: channel_free: channel 0: client-session, nchannels 1
    Connection to TARGETBOX closed.
    debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 56 bytes in 0.3 seconds
    debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 167.0
    debug1: Exit status 255

    Some additional detail:

    1. testid (not it's real name) is supposed to be trusted from the
    Sun box to the AIX box so no password is entered
    2. Tried removing testid's .profile, no change
    3. Tried wide-open permissions and then restricted permissions on
    testid's home directory, no change
    4. Tried removing/renaming testid's .ssh directory, no change
    5. Works OK when doing ssh localhost as testid on the AIX box
    6. Works OK as my own user ID (requiring password)

    I'm not fully conversant with SSH so I'm not sure what to make of the
    debug messages which seem to indicate that "Authentication succeeded"
    and it enters an "interactive session" but then inexplicably closes
    "channel 0" only a few moments later. Would appreciate any assistance.

  2. Re: SunOS 5.9 to AIX 5.3 ssh getting Connection closed

    On 2007-06-13, vinny wrote:
    > I've tried a number of things but can't figure out what's going on.
    > This worked as of May 31 and then started getting this error--no known
    > changes from that date. Soliciting ideas...

    [snip client log]

    The really interesting output would be from the server at the other
    end. See the FAQ on snailbook.com for an example of how to do that.

    Looking at your output, it appears that the server is aborting for
    some reason around the time the client requests a pty. You could
    check that the pty master/slave devices are still in /dev/ with
    correct permissions. Does "ssh yourserver echo foo" work?

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: SunOS 5.9 to AIX 5.3 ssh getting Connection closed

    On 2007-06-15, Darren Tucker wrote:

    > Looking at your output, it appears that the server is aborting for
    > some reason around the time the client requests a pty. You could
    > check that the pty master/slave devices are still in /dev/ with
    > correct permissions. Does "ssh yourserver echo foo" work?

    I've seen something like this on HP-UX, round about OpenSSH v3.7,
    when both UsePAM and privsep were on.

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/

+ Reply to Thread