vpn over ssh proxy - SSH

This is a discussion on vpn over ssh proxy - SSH ; I've the following problem: I want to create a VPN connection to a friend of mine. Our PCs are both behind a router to which we have no access to. I thought about using a ssh proxy on a server, ...

  1. vpn over ssh proxy

    I've the following problem:
    I want to create a VPN connection to a friend of mine. Our PCs are
    both behind a router to which we have no access to.
    I thought about using a ssh proxy on a server, but the problem is,
    that none of us has a server in the net.
    Are there any servers which offer free ssh proxies?
    Is there any other solution to get a VPN working between our two PCs
    which are not directly visible to the net because they are hidden
    behind a router?

  2. Re: vpn over ssh proxy

    tom.danecker@gmail.com writes:

    > I've the following problem:
    > I want to create a VPN connection to a friend of mine. Our PCs are
    > both behind a router to which we have no access to.
    > I thought about using a ssh proxy on a server, but the problem is,
    > that none of us has a server in the net.
    > Are there any servers which offer free ssh proxies?
    > Is there any other solution to get a VPN working between our two PCs
    > which are not directly visible to the net because they are hidden
    > behind a router?

    How about openvpn plus a firewall rule that only allows the openvpn
    port to be open to your friend's IP?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: vpn over ssh proxy

    tom.danecker@gmail.com wrote:

    > I've the following problem:
    > I want to create a VPN connection to a friend of mine. Our PCs are
    > both behind a router to which we have no access to.
    > I thought about using a ssh proxy on a server, but the problem is,
    > that none of us has a server in the net.
    > Are there any servers which offer free ssh proxies?
    > Is there any other solution to get a VPN working between our two PCs
    > which are not directly visible to the net because they are hidden
    > behind a router?

    Hello Tom

    There are some solutions, I don't know how reliable (encryption, key
    management etc) they are.

    This should work both sides behind FW, haven't tried myself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi

    Regards,
    Kimmo

  4. Re: vpn over ssh proxy

    Do you have access to an outside machine, to which you could both SSH to and
    tunnel traffic between yourselves or do you just have your own PC's?
    wrote in message
    news:1180873343.260913.95480@q75g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
    > I've the following problem:
    > I want to create a VPN connection to a friend of mine. Our PCs are
    > both behind a router to which we have no access to.
    > I thought about using a ssh proxy on a server, but the problem is,
    > that none of us has a server in the net.
    > Are there any servers which offer free ssh proxies?
    > Is there any other solution to get a VPN working between our two PCs
    > which are not directly visible to the net because they are hidden
    > behind a router?

+ Reply to Thread