Dying SSH sessions and netgear router - SSH

This is a discussion on Dying SSH sessions and netgear router - SSH ; I installed a new Netgear Rangemax wireless router (WPN824B v2) over the weekend. Since doing so, my SSH sessions to a remote Debian box keep terminating once every few hours. The termination appears to be done by the router itself. ...

  1. Dying SSH sessions and netgear router

    I installed a new Netgear Rangemax wireless router (WPN824B v2) over
    the weekend. Since doing so, my SSH sessions to a remote Debian box
    keep terminating once every few hours. The termination appears to be
    done by the router itself. Running last on the Debian box shows that
    my terminated sessions are still logged in there, although they are
    long since dead on my end. I've tried sending keepalive packets every
    5 minutes, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

    Any idea what is happening, and what I can do about it? If I can't
    find a solution, I'll have to return the router.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Dying SSH sessions and netgear router

    wrote in message
    news:1172494541.688117.76920@t69g2000cwt.googlegro ups.com...
    >I installed a new Netgear Rangemax wireless router (WPN824B v2) over
    > the weekend. Since doing so, my SSH sessions to a remote Debian box
    > keep terminating once every few hours. The termination appears to be
    > done by the router itself. Running last on the Debian box shows that
    > my terminated sessions are still logged in there, although they are
    > long since dead on my end. I've tried sending keepalive packets every
    > 5 minutes, but that doesn't seem to have helped.
    >
    > Any idea what is happening, and what I can do about it? If I can't
    > find a solution, I'll have to return the router.

    My suggestion: return it and get a router that can run DD-WRT
    (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices).

  3. Re: Dying SSH sessions and netgear router

    On 2007-02-26, nooneinparticular314159@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I installed a new Netgear Rangemax wireless router (WPN824B v2) over
    > the weekend. Since doing so, my SSH sessions to a remote Debian box
    > keep terminating once every few hours. The termination appears to be
    > done by the router itself. Running last on the Debian box shows that
    > my terminated sessions are still logged in there, although they are
    > long since dead on my end. I've tried sending keepalive packets every
    > 5 minutes, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

    If the client is a windows box then this can happen when the DHCP lease
    for the IP address gets renewed. Try bumping the lease time if you can.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  4. Re: Dying SSH sessions and netgear router

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 04:55:41 -0800, nooneinparticular314159 wrote:
    > Any idea what is happening, and what I can do about it? If I can't
    > find a solution, I'll have to return the router.

    I had the same problem with my Belkin router. Idle ssh sessions would
    time out and die after some time but this never happened with my
    previous router (to the same sites). The problem was due to the newer
    router purging what it believed to be expired NAT mappings in its NAT
    table. I fixed it by setting ServerAliveInterval in my ssh_config file,
    (and ClientAliveInterval in my sshd_config for inbound ssh connections).

+ Reply to Thread