How hostnames are stored in winXP - SSH

This is a discussion on How hostnames are stored in winXP - SSH ; Hi, I just got a new (used) Windows machine. I downloaded SSH to connect to my linux box at work. If I use the IP address it works. But unlike my old machine, if I type the full name (barney@saltydog.uuc.edu) ...

  1. How hostnames are stored in winXP

    Hi, I just got a new (used) Windows machine. I downloaded SSH to
    connect to my linux box at work. If I use the IP address it works. But
    unlike my old machine, if I type the full name
    (barney@saltydog.uuc.edu) it doesn't work. It worked before. So
    somehow my new machine doesn't know how to connect the IP address and
    the name. I know linux uses a host table. How can I get my WinXP box
    to know the names of IP addresses?

    Thanks very much in advance.

  2. Re: How hostnames are stored in winXP

    "BillJosephson" wrote in message
    news:1171602741.604897.307310@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, I just got a new (used) Windows machine. I downloaded SSH to
    > connect to my linux box at work. If I use the IP address it works. But
    > unlike my old machine, if I type the full name
    > (barney@saltydog.uuc.edu) it doesn't work. It worked before. So
    > somehow my new machine doesn't know how to connect the IP address and
    > the name. I know linux uses a host table. How can I get my WinXP box
    > to know the names of IP addresses?
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.

    the hosts file is located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc
    add you entries in there, as per the example shown.
    edit with wordpad, notepad etc

    P.

  3. Re: How hostnames are stored in winXP

    On Feb 15, 11:38 pm, "Flyer" wrote:
    > "BillJosephson" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1171602741.604897.307310@v45g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    > > Hi, I just got a new (used) Windows machine. I downloaded SSH to
    > > connect to my linux box at work. If I use the IP address it works. But
    > > unlike my old machine, if I type the full name
    > > (bar...@saltydog.uuc.edu) it doesn't work. It worked before. So
    > > somehow my new machine doesn't know how to connect the IP address and
    > > the name. I know linux uses a host table. How can I get my WinXP box
    > > to know the names of IP addresses?

    > > Thanks very much in advance.

    > the hosts file is located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc
    > add you entries in there, as per the example shown.
    > edit with wordpad, notepad etc
    >
    > P.

    Thanks much....

  4. Re: How hostnames are stored in winXP

    Flyer wrote:
    > "BillJosephson" wrote in message
    >> (barney@saltydog.uuc.edu) it doesn't work. It worked before. So

    That looks like a Fully Qualified Domain Name to me. Doesn't your
    organisation have a DNS server?

    > the hosts file is located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc
    > add you entries in there, as per the example shown.
    > edit with wordpad, notepad etc

    Using hosts files for name resolution in anything but the tiniest local
    networks is considered bad practice and will get you eviscerated by the
    IAB.

  5. Re: How hostnames are stored in winXP

    In alt.os.linux.suse Steven Mocking wrote:
    >Flyer wrote:
    >> "BillJosephson" wrote in message
    >>> (barney@saltydog.uuc.edu) it doesn't work. It worked before. So

    >That looks like a Fully Qualified Domain Name to me. Doesn't your
    >organisation have a DNS server?

    >> the hosts file is located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc
    >> add you entries in there, as per the example shown.
    >> edit with wordpad, notepad etc

    >Using hosts files for name resolution in anything but the tiniest local
    >networks is considered bad practice and will get you eviscerated by the
    >IAB.

    This is true. But when there are network problems and I can't
    reach my local nameserver (but can reach the outside world) setting
    up a (temporary) host file is a wonderful workaround.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: How hostnames are stored in winXP

    "Paul J Gans" wrote in message
    > In alt.os.linux.suse Steven Mocking
    > wrote:
    >>Flyer wrote:

    >>That looks like a Fully Qualified Domain Name to me. Doesn't your
    >>organisation have a DNS server?

    >>> the hosts file is located in \windows\system32\drivers\etc
    >>> add you entries in there, as per the example shown.
    >>> edit with wordpad, notepad etc

    >>Using hosts files for name resolution in anything but the tiniest local
    >>networks is considered bad practice and will get you eviscerated by the
    >>IAB.

    > This is true. But when there are network problems and I can't
    > reach my local nameserver (but can reach the outside world) setting
    > up a (temporary) host file is a wonderful workaround.

    They also work great for BLOCKING unwanted sites:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

+ Reply to Thread