OpenSSH 4.3p2 X11 forwarding fails to work - SSH

This is a discussion on OpenSSH 4.3p2 X11 forwarding fails to work - SSH ; I have OpenSSH 4.3p2 installed on AIX. When I try to connect to the system using ssh -X the .Xauthority does not get set and neither does the DISPLAY variable. Any help is appreciated, Thanks...

  1. OpenSSH 4.3p2 X11 forwarding fails to work

    I have OpenSSH 4.3p2 installed on AIX. When I try to connect to the
    system using ssh -X the .Xauthority does not get set and
    neither does the DISPLAY variable.

    Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks

  2. Re: OpenSSH 4.3p2 X11 forwarding fails to work

    scott.gruber@comcast.net writes:

    > I have OpenSSH 4.3p2 installed on AIX. When I try to connect to the
    > system using ssh -X the .Xauthority does not get set and
    > neither does the DISPLAY variable.

    The server's configuration needs to allow the X fun to happen. Just
    because the client requests it doesn't mean the server will (or can)
    allow it.

    Check the sshd_config file on the server, often in /etc/ssh.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: OpenSSH 4.3p2 X11 forwarding fails to work

    On Feb 15, 4:37 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > scott.gru...@comcast.net writes:
    > > I have OpenSSH 4.3p2 installed on AIX. When I try to connect to the
    > > system using ssh -X the .Xauthority does not get set and
    > > neither does the DISPLAY variable.

    > The server's configuration needs to allow the X fun to happen. Just
    > because the client requests it doesn't mean the server will (or can)
    > allow it.
    >
    > Check the sshd_config file on the server, often in /etc/ssh.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/

    Yep, the 3 X11 lines in /etc/ssh/sshd_config are set properly :

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    X11UseLocalhost yes

    BTW, OpenSSH 4.1p1 works fine - of which I had to downgrade it too.
    But I would really like to have 4.3p2 working so I can have the latest
    security fixes

    Thanks

  4. Re: OpenSSH 4.3p2 X11 forwarding fails to work

    On 2007-02-16, scott.gruber@comcast.net wrote:
    > Yep, the 3 X11 lines in /etc/ssh/sshd_config are set properly :
    >
    > X11Forwarding yes
    > X11DisplayOffset 10
    > X11UseLocalhost yes

    Try adding:

    XAuthLocation /path/to/your/xauth

    to sshd_config and restarting sshd. At build time, configure looks for
    xauth and if it finds it, it becomes the default setting for
    XAuthLocation. If it doesn't find it, there is no default. I suspect
    that when your 4.3p1 packages were built, xauth wasn't in the path on
    the build host.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.