realvnc - SSH

This is a discussion on realvnc - SSH ; I have installed realvnc on 8 of my computers at work. I can remote into vnc running on my win 2000 computers but I cannot remote into the computers running win xp. I am on a domain. Is there a ...

  1. realvnc

    I have installed realvnc on 8 of my computers at work. I can remote
    into vnc running on my win 2000 computers but I cannot remote into the
    computers running win xp. I am on a domain. Is there a way to get
    realvnc server running on the win xp machines?

    Thanks

  2. Re: realvnc

    janiedjs@gmail.com writes:

    > I have installed realvnc on 8 of my computers at work. I can remote
    > into vnc running on my win 2000 computers but I cannot remote into the
    > computers running win xp. I am on a domain. Is there a way to get
    > realvnc server running on the win xp machines?

    Is the windows firewall blocking the port from being reached? You may
    need to add an exception for tcp port 5900 or whatever you use.

    This is off topic for this newsgroup, for what it's worth.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: realvnc

    On 26 Jan, 13:39, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > janie...@gmail.com writes:
    > > I have installed realvnc on 8 of my computers at work. I can remote
    > > into vnc running on my win 2000 computers but I cannot remote into the
    > > computers running win xp. I am on a domain. Is there a way to get
    > > realvnc server running on the win xp machines? Is the windows firewall blocking the port from being reached? You may

    > need to add an exception for tcp port 5900 or whatever you use.
    >
    > This is off topic for this newsgroup, for what it's worth.

    It definitely belongs in Microsoft security or VNC discusion groups,
    not SSH. But local firewalls and security tools are usually at fault,
    in my experience with this particular problem.

    Unfortunately, the configuration tools are becoming a serious
    adventure. And for examples of similar trouble, McAfee's latest
    Network Services bundle actively interferes with SSHD being run, and
    you have to use the undomented option of "sshd -r" in the startup
    scripts to get it to work if McAfee is installed, even if every McAfee
    security service is turned off.

    Nasty, nasty, nasty stuff: there used to be a configuration option in
    McAfee that would address this, but they took it out.

+ Reply to Thread