non-root keypair logins - SSH

This is a discussion on non-root keypair logins - SSH ; I am trying to help a friend with some keypair-based login problems, and am a little stumped! For quite some time, she had keypair-based logins working for a few users, but at some point, it stopped functioning. She says that ...

  1. non-root keypair logins

    I am trying to help a friend with some keypair-based login problems,
    and am a little stumped!

    For quite some time, she had keypair-based logins working for a few
    users, but at some point, it stopped functioning. She says that it
    probably happened after doing a system update, thus updating the
    OpenSSH package. All of the machines in question are running Fedora
    Core 2, with OpenSSH 3.6.1p2.

    Keypair-based logins *do* work for root, but not for any other user.
    I've created test users and set up keypairs all day long, and it works
    for *root* on the FC2 machines, but not for regular users. It will,
    however, work for regular users on her CentOS 4.3 machines.

    Comparing the ssh_config and sshd_config files between machines with
    the desired behavior and those without hasn't turned up anything that
    would (to me) explain the difference - is there something obvious that
    I should be lookin for?

    Thanks,

    Thomas

  2. Re: non-root keypair logins

    > Comparing the ssh_config and sshd_config files between machines with the
    > desired behavior and those without hasn't turned up anything that would
    > (to me) explain the difference - is there something obvious that I should
    > be lookin for?

    Set the permissions of the remote user's .ssh directory to 700.
    Set the permissions of the remote user's .ssh/authorized_keys file to 600.
    Set both the user's home directory permissions to 750.
    Make sure that all above the files and directories are owned by the
    account.

    If that doesn't work then you need to tell us exactly what error you get.
    Run ssh -v @ and paste the full output to your post.

    Also note that the best way to debug issues with sshd is to run the daemon
    in debug mode, try to connect to it and read the error messages

    JohnK

  3. Re: non-root keypair logins

+ Reply to Thread