SSH Through a HTTP proxy. - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH Through a HTTP proxy. - SSH ; I need help to SSH to my home Linux box through a HTTP proxy server. The server has an incoming port of 8080, for the internal network, protected by NAT. The server also allows outgoing ports of 80 and 443, ...

  1. SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    I need help to SSH to my home Linux box through a HTTP proxy server.
    The server has an incoming port of 8080, for the internal network,
    protected by NAT. The server also allows outgoing ports of 80 and 443,
    standard, but no SSH. My network, at home, has a Linksys firewall to
    allow port forwarding from the SSH port to my computer. I can also
    change any settings on my box and the router. Any help here? I do have
    PuTTY here, but I can not install anything or change anything; PuTTY is
    on a floppy. Can anyone help me with this? Help would be appriciated.

  2. Re: SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    /dev/null wrote:
    > I need help to SSH to my home Linux box through a HTTP proxy server.
    > The server has an incoming port of 8080, for the internal network,
    > protected by NAT. The server also allows outgoing ports of 80 and 443,
    > standard, but no SSH. My network, at home, has a Linksys firewall to
    > allow port forwarding from the SSH port to my computer. I can also
    > change any settings on my box and the router. Any help here? I do have
    > PuTTY here, but I can not install anything or change anything; PuTTY is
    > on a floppy. Can anyone help me with this? Help would be appriciated.

    If you have time to waste there's corkscrew, but that hasn't been ported
    to *native* windows afaik and you would need cygwin to run a compiled
    exe. If you could rewrite it for native win32 and build an exe you could
    run that without installing it. Not sure if it's possible though.

    http://www.agroman.net/corkscrew/

    It would be tons easier if you could plug in a laptop at work, but any
    reasonably paranoid network admin might beat you viciously before you
    could reach the Ethernet socket.

  3. Re: SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    /dev/null wrote:
    > I need help to SSH to my home Linux box through a HTTP proxy server.
    > The server has an incoming port of 8080, for the internal network,
    > protected by NAT. The server also allows outgoing ports of 80 and 443,
    > standard, but no SSH. My network, at home, has a Linksys firewall to
    > allow port forwarding from the SSH port to my computer. I can also
    > change any settings on my box and the router. Any help here? I do have
    > PuTTY here, but I can not install anything or change anything; PuTTY is
    > on a floppy. Can anyone help me with this? Help would be appriciated.

    The simple solution is to run your SSH server on either 80 or 443. But
    keep in mind there are reasons that your network admins have chosen to
    lock down their network the way they have. If they are vigilant at all
    you will likely lose your job.

  4. Re: SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    Ben Carr wrote:
    > /dev/null wrote:
    >> I need help to SSH to my home Linux box through a HTTP proxy server.
    >> The server has an incoming port of 8080, for the internal network,
    >> protected by NAT. The server also allows outgoing ports of 80 and 443,
    >> standard, but no SSH. My network, at home, has a Linksys firewall to
    >> allow port forwarding from the SSH port to my computer. I can also
    >> change any settings on my box and the router. Any help here? I do have
    >> PuTTY here, but I can not install anything or change anything; PuTTY is
    >> on a floppy. Can anyone help me with this? Help would be appriciated.

    > The simple solution is to run your SSH server on either 80 or 443. But
    > keep in mind there are reasons that your network admins have chosen to
    > lock down their network the way they have. If they are vigilant at all
    > you will likely lose your job.

    If they are vigilant at all they would read this newsgroup...

  5. Re: SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    Well, the thing is, the proxy does not allow the CONNECT method so I am
    screwed with PuTTY. Any SSH-in-HTTP packet tunnels available?
    Steven Mocking wrote:
    > Ben Carr wrote:
    > > /dev/null wrote:
    > >> I need help to SSH to my home Linux box through a HTTP proxy server.
    > >> The server has an incoming port of 8080, for the internal network,
    > >> protected by NAT. The server also allows outgoing ports of 80 and 443,
    > >> standard, but no SSH. My network, at home, has a Linksys firewall to
    > >> allow port forwarding from the SSH port to my computer. I can also
    > >> change any settings on my box and the router. Any help here? I do have
    > >> PuTTY here, but I can not install anything or change anything; PuTTY is
    > >> on a floppy. Can anyone help me with this? Help would be appriciated.

    > > The simple solution is to run your SSH server on either 80 or 443. But
    > > keep in mind there are reasons that your network admins have chosen to
    > > lock down their network the way they have. If they are vigilant at all
    > > you will likely lose your job.

    > If they are vigilant at all they would read this newsgroup...

  6. Re: SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    On 18 Jan 2007 05:51:49 -0800
    "/dev/null" wrote:

    > Well, the thing is, the proxy does not allow the CONNECT method so I am
    > screwed with PuTTY. Any SSH-in-HTTP packet tunnels available?

    GNU httptunnel at http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html will
    tunnel via standard HTTP requests on port 80.

    Also, if your proxy supports SSL, it probably supports the CONNECT
    method on the SSL port. Try a telnet to the proxy and create a CONNECT
    method query to an HTTPS web server. If you get connected, you have it
    available. You won't be able to type GET requests to it, since the
    remote web server is expecting SSL and you won't have it on standard
    telnet, but it will test the connection.

    Doug

    --
    For UNIX, Linux and security articles
    visit http://SecurityBulletins.com/

  7. Re: SSH Through a HTTP proxy.

    /dev/null wrote:
    > Well, the thing is, the proxy does not allow the CONNECT method so I am
    > screwed with PuTTY. Any SSH-in-HTTP packet tunnels available?

    The other option is too look into something like MindTerm on your remote
    machine, and just use an SSL enabled web browser to access it.

    Again, you're playing with your job here.

+ Reply to Thread