SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error - SSH ; Thank you all in advance for your help. We are unable to connect to via ssh to our webserver any longer. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both cygwin and openSSH on the windows 2003 server. Everytime we try to ...

  1. SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error

    Thank you all in advance for your help.

    We are unable to connect to via ssh to our webserver any longer. I
    have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both cygwin and openSSH on the
    windows 2003 server. Everytime we try to ssh to the server, we receive
    the error:

    ..bin/bash: Permissions error.

    Here is the verbose session transcript. What could possibly be causing
    this?

    ssh -v gsweb@www.girlscoutspw.org
    OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
    debug1: Connecting to www.girlscoutspw.org [208.96.203.196] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /Users/gsweb/.ssh/identity type -1
    debug1: identity file /Users/gsweb/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
    debug1: identity file /Users/gsweb/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
    debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
    OpenSSH_4.5
    debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.5 pat OpenSSH*
    debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.2
    debug1: Miscellaneous failure
    No credentials cache found

    debug1: Miscellaneous failure
    No credentials cache found

    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
    debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
    debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
    debug1: Host 'www.girlscoutspw.org' is known and matches the RSA host
    key.
    debug1: Found key in /Users/sgweb/.ssh/known_hosts:1
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Trying private key: /Users/gsweb/.ssh/identity
    debug1: Trying private key: /Users/gsweb/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug1: Trying private key: /Users/gsweb/.ssh/id_dsa
    debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Next authentication method: password
    gsweb@www.girlscoutspw.org's password:
    debug1: Authentication succeeded (password).
    debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
    debug1: Entering interactive session.
    Last login: Tue Jan 9 15:10:40 2007 from
    dsl081-143-182.chi1.dsl.speakeasy.net
    Fanfare!!!
    You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
    /bin/bash: Permission denied
    debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
    debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
    Connection to www.girlscoutspw.org closed.
    debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 44 bytes in 0.8 seconds
    debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 54.3
    debug1: Exit status 1

    Any help you could provide is appreciated. Thank you all once again.

    Vivek Pandit
    email: vpandit at networkscr dot com.

  2. Re: SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error

    Sounds like the permissions on the /bin/bash file changed.

  3. Re: SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error

    Chuck wrote:
    > Sounds like the permissions on the /bin/bash file changed.

    The permissions are showing as: -rwxr-xr-x+. I believe that is 755?

    Thanks,

    Vivek

  4. Re: SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error

    vmpandit@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> Sounds like the permissions on the /bin/bash file changed.

    > The permissions are showing as: -rwxr-xr-x+. I believe that is 755?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Vivek

    That looks right. Check the permissions on your home directory too. It
    sounds like bash is having a problem, not ssh.

  5. Re: SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error

    vmpandit> Chuck wrote:
    >> Sounds like the permissions on the /bin/bash file changed.

    vmpandit> The permissions are showing as: -rwxr-xr-x+. I believe that
    vmpandit> is 755?

    The trailing + may indicate the presence of an ACL, which could be
    interfering.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  6. Re: SSH on CYGWIN bash permissions error

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > vmpandit> Chuck wrote:
    > >> Sounds like the permissions on the /bin/bash file changed.

    > vmpandit> The permissions are showing as: -rwxr-xr-x+. I believe that
    > vmpandit> is 755?
    >
    > The trailing + may indicate the presence of an ACL, which could be
    > interfering.

    I think you nailed it.

+ Reply to Thread