SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA - SSH ; Hello, I am currently living in France, but would like to view my google video reports as though I am in the USA (It seems there are some extra features that the rest of the world can't see) Now I ...

  1. SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    Hello,
    I am currently living in France, but would like to view my google video
    reports as though I am in the USA (It seems there are some extra
    features that the rest of the world can't see)

    Now I have a shared server in the US running FreeBSD

    How do I create an ssh tunnel so that I can use the US server and
    access the site via my home machine?

    I have tried this

    #$ ssh -p 1234 -v -2 -L 80:192.168.0.1:80 me@us_server

    but this does not work as I want to look at sites outside the us_server
    not the us_server..

    Any suggestions?

    Cheers

    Norman

  2. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    "Norman" writes:

    > Hello,
    > I am currently living in France, but would like to view my google video
    > reports as though I am in the USA (It seems there are some extra
    > features that the rest of the world can't see)
    >
    > Now I have a shared server in the US running FreeBSD
    >
    > How do I create an ssh tunnel so that I can use the US server and
    > access the site via my home machine?
    >
    > I have tried this
    >
    > #$ ssh -p 1234 -v -2 -L 80:192.168.0.1:80 me@us_server
    >
    > but this does not work as I want to look at sites outside the us_server
    > not the us_server..
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    $ ssh -D 1080 me@us_server

    And then set your local web browser to proxy using socks 4 to server
    127.0.0.1 port 1080.

    A peek at http://whatismyip.com/ or equivalent can help you verify you
    set it up right.

    $ man ssh

    for details.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "Norman" writes:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I am currently living in France, but would like to view my google video
    > > reports as though I am in the USA (It seems there are some extra
    > > features that the rest of the world can't see)
    > >
    > > Now I have a shared server in the US running FreeBSD
    > >
    > > How do I create an ssh tunnel so that I can use the US server and
    > > access the site via my home machine?
    > >
    > > I have tried this
    > >
    > > #$ ssh -p 1234 -v -2 -L 80:192.168.0.1:80 me@us_server
    > >
    > > but this does not work as I want to look at sites outside the us_server
    > > not the us_server..
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    > $ ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    >
    > And then set your local web browser to proxy using socks 4 to server
    > 127.0.0.1 port 1080.
    >
    > A peek at http://whatismyip.com/ or equivalent can help you verify you
    > set it up right.
    >
    > $ man ssh
    >
    > for details.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    Hi Todd,

    Tried this, but everytime I open a web page I just get a blank page.

    Here is what I did:

    1) open a Terminal

    # ssh -D 1080 me@us_server

    2) On Firefox preferences, Connection Settings set to Manual proxy
    configuration

    HTTP Proxy: localhost Port: 1080

    here I get a blank page.

    Perhaps the apple has a built in Proxy settings, as when I look at the
    Preferences, Network, Web Proxy I can set these there - which I did,
    but then on Safari, I got an error:

    Safari can't open the page "http://google.com/".

    The error was: "bad server response" (NSURLErrorDomain:-1011)

    Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error
    number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

    Is this correct way to do it or did I miss a point?

    Cheers

    Norman

  4. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    "Norman" writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > >

    > > $ ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    > >
    > > And then set your local web browser to proxy using socks 4 to server
    > > 127.0.0.1 port 1080.
    > >
    > > A peek at http://whatismyip.com/ or equivalent can help you verify you
    > > set it up right.
    > >
    > > $ man ssh
    > >
    > > for details.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Todd H.
    > > http://www.toddh.net/

    > Hi Todd,
    >
    > Tried this, but everytime I open a web page I just get a blank page.
    >
    > Here is what I did:
    >
    > 1) open a Terminal
    >
    > # ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    >
    > 2) On Firefox preferences, Connection Settings set to Manual proxy
    > configuration
    >
    > HTTP Proxy: localhost Port: 1080

    > Is this correct way to do it or did I miss a point?

    No. Not http proxy, SOCKS 4 proxy.

    -D implements a dynamic SOCKS proxy.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "Norman" writes:
    >
    >> Todd H. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> $ ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    >>>
    >>> And then set your local web browser to proxy using socks 4 to server
    >>> 127.0.0.1 port 1080.
    >>>
    >>> A peek at http://whatismyip.com/ or equivalent can help you verify you
    >>> set it up right.
    >>>
    >>> $ man ssh
    >>>
    >>> for details.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Todd H.
    >>> http://www.toddh.net/

    >> Hi Todd,
    >>
    >> Tried this, but everytime I open a web page I just get a blank page.
    >>
    >> Here is what I did:
    >>
    >> 1) open a Terminal
    >>
    >> # ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    >>
    >> 2) On Firefox preferences, Connection Settings set to Manual proxy
    >> configuration
    >>
    >> HTTP Proxy: localhost Port: 1080

    >> Is this correct way to do it or did I miss a point?

    > No. Not http proxy, SOCKS 4 proxy.
    >
    > -D implements a dynamic SOCKS proxy.
    >
    > Best Regards,

    Socks5 works too.

  6. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "Norman" writes:
    >
    > > Todd H. wrote:
    > > >

    > > > $ ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    > > >
    > > > And then set your local web browser to proxy using socks 4 to server
    > > > 127.0.0.1 port 1080.
    > > >
    > > > A peek at http://whatismyip.com/ or equivalent can help you verify you
    > > > set it up right.
    > > >
    > > > $ man ssh
    > > >
    > > > for details.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Todd H.
    > > > http://www.toddh.net/

    > > Hi Todd,
    > >
    > > Tried this, but everytime I open a web page I just get a blank page.
    > >
    > > Here is what I did:
    > >
    > > 1) open a Terminal
    > >
    > > # ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    > >
    > > 2) On Firefox preferences, Connection Settings set to Manual proxy
    > > configuration
    > >
    > > HTTP Proxy: localhost Port: 1080

    > > Is this correct way to do it or did I miss a point?

    > No. Not http proxy, SOCKS 4 proxy.
    >
    > -D implements a dynamic SOCKS proxy.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    Thanks, this worked great But the Google reports are the same... not
    for this group I guess...

    Socks v5 did not work, the page tried to load, but it never did.

    Cheers

    Norman

  7. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    Norman wrote:
    > Todd H. wrote:

    >>> Hi Todd,
    >>>
    >>> Tried this, but everytime I open a web page I just get a blank page.
    >>>
    >>> Here is what I did:
    >>>
    >>> 1) open a Terminal
    >>>
    >>> # ssh -D 1080 me@us_server
    >>>
    >>> 2) On Firefox preferences, Connection Settings set to Manual proxy
    >>> configuration
    >>>
    >>> HTTP Proxy: localhost Port: 1080
    >>> Is this correct way to do it or did I miss a point?

    >> No. Not http proxy, SOCKS 4 proxy.
    >>
    >> -D implements a dynamic SOCKS proxy.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> --
    >> Todd H.
    >> http://www.toddh.net/

    > Thanks, this worked great But the Google reports are the same... not
    > for this group I guess...
    >
    > Socks v5 did not work, the page tried to load, but it never did.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Norman

    It should work with socks5 too. From the ssh man page...

    -D [bind_address:]port
    Specifies a local ``dynamic'' application-level port forwarding. This
    works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side,
    optionally bound to the specified bind_address. Whenever a connection
    is made to this port, the connection is forwarded over the secure chan-
    nel, and the application protocol is then used to determine where to
    connect to from the remote machine. Currently the SOCKS4 and SOCKS5
    protocols are supported, and ssh will act as a SOCKS server. Only root
    can forward privileged ports. Dynamic port forwardings can also be
    specified in the configuration file.

    Putty's help page says essentially the same thing. I've used both Cygwin
    openssh and putty 0.58 for dynamic port forwarding and set my firefox
    browser to use it as a socks5 proxy. The proxy address has to use the
    dotted address 127.0.0.1 and not localhost.

  8. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    "Norman" writes:

    > Thanks, this worked great But the Google reports are the same... not
    > for this group I guess...
    >
    > Socks v5 did not work, the page tried to load, but it never did.

    Norman, I noticed in your followup you set the proxy server to
    localhost. I have vague recollections that that doesn't always work
    so I've gotten into the habit of using the localhost numeric ip of
    127.0.0.1 as the socks proxy server address instead of the hostname.

    Try setting your browser's proxy to a socks4 proxy of 127.0.0.1 on
    port 1080 (or whatever local port number you fed to -D)

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  9. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    On 2007-01-10, Chuck wrote:
    [about dynamic forwarding]
    > It should work with socks5 too. From the ssh man page...

    In OpenSSH it depends on the version: from memory, SOCKS5 support was
    (re)added in 3.7 or so.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  10. Re: SSH Tunneling, view web site as though I am in the USA

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "Norman" writes:
    >
    > > Thanks, this worked great But the Google reports are the same... not
    > > for this group I guess...
    > >
    > > Socks v5 did not work, the page tried to load, but it never did.

    > Norman, I noticed in your followup you set the proxy server to
    > localhost. I have vague recollections that that doesn't always work
    > so I've gotten into the habit of using the localhost numeric ip of
    > 127.0.0.1 as the socks proxy server address instead of the hostname.
    >
    > Try setting your browser's proxy to a socks4 proxy of 127.0.0.1 on
    > port 1080 (or whatever local port number you fed to -D)
    >

    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    Thanks Todd, my mistake, I did use 127.0.0.1 rather than localhost.
    Will play arround to see why the SOCKS v5 did not work.

    Cheers

    Norman

+ Reply to Thread