DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?) - SSH

This is a discussion on DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?) - SSH ; Folks, On a Fujitsu-Siemens PrimePower 650 running Solaris 8, I'm trying to deny ssh access to a specific user with the DenyUsers option in sshd_config. The line looks (pretty simply): DenyUsers valerio I have since killed -HUP the sshd pid, ...

  1. DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?)

    Folks,

    On a Fujitsu-Siemens PrimePower 650 running Solaris 8, I'm trying to
    deny ssh access to a specific user with the DenyUsers option in
    sshd_config.

    The line looks (pretty simply):
    DenyUsers valerio

    I have since killed -HUP the sshd pid, but I am still able to login as
    user valerio.

    Any idea what I am doing wrong or how to troubleshoot this?

    Thanks in advance

    Ciccio

  2. Re: DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?)

    Ciccio wrote:
    > I have since killed -HUP the sshd pid, but I am still able to login as
    > user valerio.

    That should work for openssh - are you sure it's the right sshd_config
    file? Judging by the version number of OS and ssh, you probably updated
    openssh. Perhaps you installed from source without specifying a prefix?
    In that case the running config is probably in
    /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config.

  3. Re: DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?)

    Steven Mocking wrote:

    > Ciccio wrote:
    > > I have since killed -HUP the sshd pid, but I am still able to login as
    > > user valerio.

    > That should work for openssh - are you sure it's the right sshd_config
    > file? Judging by the version number of OS and ssh, you probably updated
    > openssh. Perhaps you installed from source without specifying a prefix?
    > In that case the running config is probably in
    > /usr/local/etc/ssh/sshd_config.

    Thanks for your reply Steven,

    Still, I have installed the package from Sunfreeware, so sshd_config
    lives in /usr/local/etc/ .
    Even a
    # find / -name sshd_config
    only returns that one.

    Any other ideas?

    Ciccio

  4. Re: DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?)

    Ciccio wrote:
    > Still, I have installed the package from Sunfreeware, so sshd_config
    > lives in /usr/local/etc/ .
    > Even a
    > # find / -name sshd_config
    > only returns that one.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Perhaps the HUP methodology is broken for some reason. You could try
    restarting it with the init script instead, e.g. /etc/init.d/sshd restart.

    Anything appearing in the logfiles during the restart?

  5. Re: DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?)

    Ciccio wrote:
    > Still, I have installed the package from Sunfreeware, so sshd_config
    > lives in /usr/local/etc/ .
    > Even a
    > # find / -name sshd_config
    > only returns that one.
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Perhaps the HUP methodology is broken for some reason. You could try
    restarting it with the init script instead, e.g. /etc/init.d/sshd restart.

    Anything appearing in the logfiles during the restart?

  6. SUMMARY: DenyUsers option on OpenSSH 4.4p1 (not working?)

    My mistake (!)

    I ran pkill -HUP (wrong)
    instead of either
    kill -HUP
    or
    pkill -HUP sshd

    Oh well...

    Thanks for your responses guys, much appreciated.

    Steven Mocking wrote:

    > Ciccio wrote:
    > > Still, I have installed the package from Sunfreeware, so sshd_config
    > > lives in /usr/local/etc/ .
    > > Even a
    > > # find / -name sshd_config
    > > only returns that one.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas?

    > Perhaps the HUP methodology is broken for some reason. You could try
    > restarting it with the init script instead, e.g. /etc/init.d/sshd restart.
    >
    > Anything appearing in the logfiles during the restart?

+ Reply to Thread