Putty and ProxyCommand Support? - SSH

This is a discussion on Putty and ProxyCommand Support? - SSH ; Does Putty support anything like the ProxyCommand feature found within SSH? I am trying to setup a proxy tunnel, and it works fine in Linux, but I'm wondering if I can get it to work in Windows also. Thanks for ...

  1. Putty and ProxyCommand Support?

    Does Putty support anything like the ProxyCommand feature found within
    SSH?

    I am trying to setup a proxy tunnel, and it works fine in Linux, but
    I'm wondering if I can get it to work in Windows also.

    Thanks for the help.

    -Ryan

  2. Re: Putty and ProxyCommand Support?

    "Ryan Phillips" writes:

    > Does Putty support anything like the ProxyCommand feature found within
    > SSH?
    >
    > I am trying to setup a proxy tunnel, and it works fine in Linux, but
    > I'm wondering if I can get it to work in Windows also.

    Does the Connection-> Proxy panel have the options you want? I
    googled up a screenshot off cisco's site:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/127...e_putty_06.gif

    What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Putty and ProxyCommand Support?

    On Jan 8, 10:05 am, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > "Ryan Phillips" writes:
    > > Does Putty support anything like the ProxyCommand feature found within
    > > SSH?

    > > I am trying to setup a proxy tunnel, and it works fine in Linux, but
    > > I'm wondering if I can get it to work in Windows also.Does the Connection-> Proxy panel have the options you want? I

    > googled up a screenshot off cisco's site:
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/127...e_putty_06.gif
    >
    > What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

    Ah, I got this figured out. SSH on unix doesn't appear to natively
    support Proxys, that is why the ProxyCommand is used to pipe data to
    the external program. Putty does support proxies out of the box. I
    was confused on what the ProxyCommand was actually doing. Thanks Todd
    for the push in the right direction.

    -ryan

  4. Re: Putty and ProxyCommand Support?

    On 8 Jan 2007 12:27:16 -0800
    "Ryan Phillips" wrote:

    > Ah, I got this figured out. SSH on unix doesn't appear to natively
    > support Proxys, that is why the ProxyCommand is used to pipe data to
    > the external program.

    It is true that SSH delegates proxy connectivity to a designated
    program. It keeps with the UNIX philosophy of using small programs and
    tying them together with pipes or other interprocess communication.

    The upside of using a separate program for proxy communication is that
    it provides great flexibility to pierce any proxy, not just a web
    proxy.

    With PuTTY, you could use a tunnelling program that listens to a local
    port and pumps the data through the proxy. That would effectively do
    the same thing. You would then point your PuTTY to localhost and the
    port the program is listening to.

    Doug

    --
    For UNIX, Linux and security articles
    visit http://SecurityBulletins.com/

  5. Re: Putty and ProxyCommand Support?

    Ryan Phillips wrote:
    > Does Putty support anything like the ProxyCommand feature found within
    > SSH?

    Yes. The current PuTTY development snapshots support exactly the
    same feature on Windows. We're in the final run-up to a release, so
    those snapshots should be pretty stable in general.
    --
    Simon Tatham "Selfless? I'm so selfless I
    don't even know who I am."

+ Reply to Thread