Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client - SSH

This is a discussion on Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client - SSH ; Is there a way to transfer all of the settings and sessions that I have setup in my windows Putty client to a Putty client on a Linux system?...

  1. Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Is there a way to transfer all of the settings and sessions that I have
    setup in my windows Putty client to a Putty client on a Linux system?

  2. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Irish wrote:
    > Is there a way to transfer all of the settings and sessions that I have
    > setup in my windows Putty client to a Putty client on a Linux system?

    Last time I looked, there was no Putty for a Linux system. It's a
    shame, because I rathre like the client and wish it was available for
    Linux/BSD/Other open source systems.

  3. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Nico wrote:
    > Last time I looked, there was no Putty for a Linux system.

    A source tarball for Unix PuTTY has been on the website since around
    2003. It lacks its own agent (though it interoperates seamlessly
    with OpenSSH's ssh-agent), but the rest is all there.
    --
    Simon Tatham "I'm going to pull his head off. Ear by ear."
    - a games teacher

  4. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Simon Tatham wrote:
    > Nico wrote:
    > > Last time I looked, there was no Putty for a Linux system.

    > A source tarball for Unix PuTTY has been on the website since around
    > 2003. It lacks its own agent (though it interoperates seamlessly
    > with OpenSSH's ssh-agent), but the rest is all there.

    Good: what a nice way to be shown wrong, since you're the current
    maintainer for that packge. Would you mind if I RPM bundled it and sent
    Fedora Core a note? Or do they already have it?

  5. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Nico wrote:
    [Unix PuTTY]
    > Would you mind if I RPM bundled it and sent Fedora Core a note?

    Not at all. Feel free.

    > Or do they already have it?

    I've no idea, I'm afraid; I'm a Debian-oriented person myself. I
    know Debian have had it for a while.

    Cheers,
    Simon
    --
    Simon Tatham "Selfless? I'm so selfless I
    don't even know who I am."

  6. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    I am running Fedora Core 6, and it is already prepackaged. BTW, I am
    guessing that there is no way to transfer my settings from my Windows
    system to my Linux system?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    Simon Tatham wrote:
    > Nico wrote:
    > [Unix PuTTY]
    > > Would you mind if I RPM bundled it and sent Fedora Core a note?

  7. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Irish wrote:
    > I am running Fedora Core 6, and it is already prepackaged. BTW, I am
    > guessing that there is no way to transfer my settings from my Windows
    > system to my Linux system?

    There's no standard means at present, I'm afraid, although I don't
    imagine it ought to be too difficult to write a piece of Perl which
    would convert a Windows registry dump file into the appropriate
    format for Unix PuTTY.

    Some of the settings only make sense on one platform, of course, so
    the conversion wouldn't be perfect; but it would save most of the
    effort.
    --
    Simon Tatham "I thought I'd put my foot so far into my mouth I
    wouldn't be able to sit down without standing up."

  8. Re: Transfer Putty Settings From a Windows Putty Client to a Linux Putty Client

    Thanks Simon...

    Jon

    Simon Tatham wrote:
    > There's no standard means at present, I'm afraid, although I don't
    > imagine it ought to be too difficult to write a piece of Perl which
    > would convert a Windows registry dump file into the appropriate
    > format for Unix PuTTY.
    >
    > Some of the settings only make sense on one platform, of course, so
    > the conversion wouldn't be perfect; but it would save most of the
    > effort.
    > --
    > Simon Tatham "I thought I'd put my foot so far into my mouth I
    > wouldn't be able to sit down without standing up."

+ Reply to Thread