How to change rsync to run upon rsh ? - SSH

This is a discussion on How to change rsync to run upon rsh ? - SSH ; Hi, The rsync on my system relies on SSH, this takes a lot of system resource and I think it runs slower . Because I am running it on a secured network, I do not need so much consideration of ...

  1. How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    Hi,
    The rsync on my system relies on SSH, this takes a lot of system
    resource and I think it runs slower . Because I am running it on a
    secured network, I do not need so much consideration of security, I am
    wondering how to change it so that it relies on RSH instead?

    Or change to some other light encryption algorithm?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    linq936> Hi, The rsync on my system relies on SSH, this takes a lot of
    linq936> system resource and I think it runs slower . Because I am
    linq936> running it on a secured network, I do not need so much
    linq936> consideration of security, I am wondering how to change it so
    linq936> that it relies on RSH instead?

    linq936> Or change to some other light encryption algorithm?

    linq936> Thanks.

    rsync -e, as is documented in the rsync man page.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    Em Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:59:16 -0800, linq936 escreveu:

    > Hi,
    > The rsync on my system relies on SSH, this takes a lot of system
    > resource and I think it runs slower . Because I am running it on a
    > secured network, I do not need so much consideration of security, I am
    > wondering how to change it so that it relies on RSH instead?
    >
    > Or change to some other light encryption algorithm?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As an example:

    rsync --archive \
    --verbose \
    --progress \
    --rsh='ssh -p 2256' \
    --password-file='/home/jj/scripts/rsync_chave.txt' \
    --update
    --exclude-from='/home/jj/scripts/rsync_copia_home_excluidos.txt'
    /home/jj ibm.verde:/home/jj/lin_backup/

    Luis P. Mendes

  4. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    linq936@hotmail.com writes:

    >Hi,
    > The rsync on my system relies on SSH, this takes a lot of system
    >resource and I think it runs slower . Because I am running it on a
    >secured network, I do not need so much consideration of security, I am
    >wondering how to change it so that it relies on RSH instead?

    Bad idea. I suspect that the system resources required are primarily disk
    read/write, not ssh.

    Anyway man rsync
    Look for rsh

    > Or change to some other light encryption algorithm?

    And ssh is heavy how?

  5. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    Unruh writes:

    >Bad idea. I suspect that the system resources required are primarily disk
    >read/write, not ssh.

    You seem to be used to pretty slow disks.

    >> Or change to some other light encryption algorithm?

    >And ssh is heavy how?

    The heavy thing is called encryption.

    Michael van Elst
    Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de

  6. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    Michael van Elst wrote:

    > Unruh writes:
    >
    > >Bad idea. I suspect that the system resources required are primarily disk
    > >read/write, not ssh.

    > You seem to be used to pretty slow disks.
    >
    > >> Or change to some other light encryption algorithm?

    > >And ssh is heavy how?

    > The heavy thing is called encryption.

    Why not simply use an rsyncd server on the target host? Get away from
    rsh/SSH altogether, if you're not deeply concerned about security, and
    restrict write access to only designated hosts?

  7. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    "Nico" writes:

    >Michael van Elst wrote:

    >> Unruh writes:
    >>
    >> >Bad idea. I suspect that the system resources required are primarily disk
    >> >read/write, not ssh.

    >> You seem to be used to pretty slow disks.

    Disks are ALWAYS slower than memory computations.

    >> >And ssh is heavy how?

    >> The heavy thing is called encryption.

    You know this how?

    >Why not simply use an rsyncd server on the target host? Get away from
    >rsh/SSH altogether, if you're not deeply concerned about security, and
    >restrict write access to only designated hosts?

    agreed.

  8. Re: How to change rsync to run upon rsh ?

    Unruh writes:

    >Disks are ALWAYS slower than memory computations.

    Nonsense. A computation in memory can be arbitrarily complex
    and therefore outweigh any kind of disk I/O.

    >>> The heavy thing is called encryption.

    >You know this how?

    I can measure how much time (CPU time and real time) is used for
    encryption and how much is used for data transport, disk I/O or
    network activity.