Only allow public/private key authentication ? - SSH

This is a discussion on Only allow public/private key authentication ? - SSH ; Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to allow only public/private key authentication, and so what is the exact signification of the 'PasswordAuthentication' configuration option. I have disabled the PasswordAuthentication option but my sshd server always ...

  1. Only allow public/private key authentication ?

    Hello,

    I would like to know if there is a way to allow only public/private key
    authentication, and so what is the exact signification of the
    'PasswordAuthentication' configuration option.

    I have disabled the PasswordAuthentication option but my sshd server
    always asks me for a password and not a passphrase if I don't have the
    good private key on my client.

    Thanks if you can help,

    C. Tobini

  2. Re: Only allow public/private key authentication ?

    ctobini> Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to allow only
    ctobini> public/private key authentication, and so what is the exact
    ctobini> signification of the 'PasswordAuthentication' configuration
    ctobini> option.

    ctobini> I have disabled the PasswordAuthentication option but my sshd
    ctobini> server always asks me for a password and not a passphrase if
    ctobini> I don't have the good private key on my client.

    Did you restart or sighup sshd after making this change?

    ctobini> Thanks if you can help,

    ctobini> C. Tobini

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Only allow public/private key authentication ?

    Hello and thanks for your answer,

    I have restarted the service but I'm asked for my password, I fixed
    'PasswordAuthentication no' in the /etc/sshd_config file.

    C. Tobini

    Richard E. Silverman a écrit :

    > ctobini> Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to allow only
    > ctobini> public/private key authentication, and so what is the exact
    > ctobini> signification of the 'PasswordAuthentication' configuration
    > ctobini> option.
    >
    > ctobini> I have disabled the PasswordAuthentication option but my sshd
    > ctobini> server always asks me for a password and not a passphrase if
    > ctobini> I don't have the good private key on my client.
    >
    > Did you restart or sighup sshd after making this change?
    >
    > ctobini> Thanks if you can help,
    >
    > ctobini> C. Tobini
    >

    > --
    > Richard Silverman
    > res@qoxp.net

  4. Re: Only allow public/private key authentication ?

  5. Re: Only allow public/private key authentication ?

    On 2006-12-15, ctobini wrote:
    > I would like to know if there is a way to allow only public/private key
    > authentication, and so what is the exact signification of the
    > 'PasswordAuthentication' configuration option.
    >
    > I have disabled the PasswordAuthentication option but my sshd server
    > always asks me for a password and not a passphrase if I don't have the

    Assuming you're using OpenSSH and that you have restarted sshd (from
    subsequent posts it seems that you have) you may also need to disable
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication.

    If you have PAM support enabled in sshd and PAM is configured to allow
    authentication via password then sshd can also authenticate you via
    that method. It looks similar to password authentication but it's
    different at the protocol level.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.