Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows - SSH

This is a discussion on Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows - SSH ; I'm trying to use scp to copy files from a SCO box to a Windows 2003 box running OpenSSH. I generated a key on the SCO box and transferred the id_rsa.pub file over to the OpenSSH box. I created a ...

  1. Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows

    I'm trying to use scp to copy files from a SCO box to a Windows 2003
    box running OpenSSH.

    I generated a key on the SCO box and transferred the id_rsa.pub file
    over to the OpenSSH box. I created a directory ".ssh" on what I think
    is the home directory of the userid I'm sending to.

    I know that OpenSSH on Windows works, because when I am prompted for a
    password on the SCO box, and enter it correctly, the file gets
    transferred. Since I don't specify an absolute path on the target
    Windows box, I'm guessing that where the file ends up is the home
    directory, and the information in Windows OpenSSH's etc\passwd file
    seems to back that up.

    If I were to troubleshoot this on a LUnix box, I'd interactively start
    sshd in debug mode on the target machine, and look at the output after
    a transfer or login attempt.

    As it is, I don't even see any log information in OpenSSH's
    var\log\OpenSSHD.log. The file is empty.

    So, is there a debug mode in OpenSSH for Windows? Is there a way to
    get logging turned on?
    === Al

  2. Re: Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows

    data345@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm trying to use scp to copy files from a SCO box to a Windows 2003
    > box running OpenSSH.
    >
    > I generated a key on the SCO box and transferred the id_rsa.pub file
    > over to the OpenSSH box. I created a directory ".ssh" on what I think
    > is the home directory of the userid I'm sending to.
    >
    > I know that OpenSSH on Windows works, because when I am prompted for a
    > password on the SCO box, and enter it correctly, the file gets
    > transferred. Since I don't specify an absolute path on the target
    > Windows box, I'm guessing that where the file ends up is the home
    > directory, and the information in Windows OpenSSH's etc\passwd file
    > seems to back that up.
    >
    > If I were to troubleshoot this on a LUnix box, I'd interactively start
    > sshd in debug mode on the target machine, and look at the output after
    > a transfer or login attempt.
    >
    > As it is, I don't even see any log information in OpenSSH's
    > var\log\OpenSSHD.log. The file is empty.
    >
    > So, is there a debug mode in OpenSSH for Windows? Is there a way to
    > get logging turned on?
    > === Al

    Which OpenSSH for windows are you using? I use CopSSH and the keys go in
    c:\program files\copssh\home\$UserName\.ssh. AFAIK CopSSH is the only
    OpenSSH for windows that's actively being maintained.

    HTH.

  3. Re: Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows

    Chuck writes:

    > data345@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > I'm trying to use scp to copy files from a SCO box to a Windows 2003
    > > box running OpenSSH.
    > >
    > > I generated a key on the SCO box and transferred the id_rsa.pub file
    > > over to the OpenSSH box. I created a directory ".ssh" on what I think
    > > is the home directory of the userid I'm sending to.
    > >
    > > I know that OpenSSH on Windows works, because when I am prompted for a
    > > password on the SCO box, and enter it correctly, the file gets
    > > transferred. Since I don't specify an absolute path on the target
    > > Windows box, I'm guessing that where the file ends up is the home
    > > directory, and the information in Windows OpenSSH's etc\passwd file
    > > seems to back that up.
    > >
    > > If I were to troubleshoot this on a LUnix box, I'd interactively start
    > > sshd in debug mode on the target machine, and look at the output after
    > > a transfer or login attempt.
    > >
    > > As it is, I don't even see any log information in OpenSSH's
    > > var\log\OpenSSHD.log. The file is empty.
    > >
    > > So, is there a debug mode in OpenSSH for Windows? Is there a way to
    > > get logging turned on?
    > > === Al
    > >

    > Which OpenSSH for windows are you using? I use CopSSH and the keys go in
    > c:\program files\copssh\home\$UserName\.ssh. AFAIK CopSSH is the only
    > OpenSSH for windows that's actively being maintained.

    There's also openssh via cygwin, fwiw.

    Hopefully the OP will clarify which openssh he's running and how.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  4. Re: Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Chuck writes:
    >
    >> data345@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to use scp to copy files from a SCO box to a Windows 2003
    >>> box running OpenSSH.
    >>>
    >>> I generated a key on the SCO box and transferred the id_rsa.pub file
    >>> over to the OpenSSH box. I created a directory ".ssh" on what I think
    >>> is the home directory of the userid I'm sending to.
    >>>
    >>> I know that OpenSSH on Windows works, because when I am prompted for a
    >>> password on the SCO box, and enter it correctly, the file gets
    >>> transferred. Since I don't specify an absolute path on the target
    >>> Windows box, I'm guessing that where the file ends up is the home
    >>> directory, and the information in Windows OpenSSH's etc\passwd file
    >>> seems to back that up.
    >>>
    >>> If I were to troubleshoot this on a LUnix box, I'd interactively start
    >>> sshd in debug mode on the target machine, and look at the output after
    >>> a transfer or login attempt.
    >>>
    >>> As it is, I don't even see any log information in OpenSSH's
    >>> var\log\OpenSSHD.log. The file is empty.
    >>>
    >>> So, is there a debug mode in OpenSSH for Windows? Is there a way to
    >>> get logging turned on?
    >>> === Al
    >>>

    >> Which OpenSSH for windows are you using? I use CopSSH and the keys go in
    >> c:\program files\copssh\home\$UserName\.ssh. AFAIK CopSSH is the only
    >> OpenSSH for windows that's actively being maintained.

    > There's also openssh via cygwin, fwiw.
    >
    > Hopefully the OP will clarify which openssh he's running and how.

    Actually that's what CopSSH is. A minimal cygwin distribution with just
    what's needed to run OpenSSH. Its a lot easier to install than the full
    package for someone who isn't familiar with CygWin.

  5. Re: Certificate placement in OpenSSH for Windows

    Chuck writes:

    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > Chuck writes:

    > >> Which OpenSSH for windows are you using? I use CopSSH and the keys go in
    > >> c:\program files\copssh\home\$UserName\.ssh. AFAIK CopSSH is the only
    > >> OpenSSH for windows that's actively being maintained.

    > > There's also openssh via cygwin, fwiw.
    > >
    > > Hopefully the OP will clarify which openssh he's running and how.
    > >

    > Actually that's what CopSSH is. A minimal cygwin distribution with just
    > what's needed to run OpenSSH. Its a lot easier to install than the full
    > package for someone who isn't familiar with CygWin.

    Thanks for the info.

    The distinction is needed though for the original question since
    cygwin users won't have c:\program files\copssh\home\ but rather a
    c:\cygwin\ is the base of the root structure, and for example,
    var\log\OpenSSHD.log would be found in c:\cygwin\var\log\OpenSSHD.log

    I'm not running the sshd on mine at present though, so I cant vouch
    for whether that filename will actually exist if I were doing so under
    cygwin, however.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/