scp - SSH

This is a discussion on scp - SSH ; Hi all; Does `scp` copy files from one directory to another on the same system across users. If so, how do I get this to do it? I am working on a secure (Sun Sol5.8) externally exposed system and want ...

  1. scp

    Hi all;

    Does `scp` copy files from one directory to another on the same system
    across users.
    If so, how do I get this to do it?

    I am working on a secure (Sun Sol5.8) externally exposed system and
    want to copy from one user's dir to another set of user's dir's.
    One user sends us data, I have to move this to several other user's who
    take the data.
    At the moment,this is scp'd to a secure internal Sun box,then copied
    back out to these users dir's.

    Regards
    Ian

  2. Re: scp

    On 2006-12-04, ian wrote:
    > Does `scp` copy files from one directory to another on the same system
    > across users.
    > If so, how do I get this to do it?
    >
    > I am working on a secure (Sun Sol5.8) externally exposed system and
    > want to copy from one user's dir to another set of user's dir's.
    > One user sends us data, I have to move this to several other user's who
    > take the data.
    > At the moment,this is scp'd to a secure internal Sun box,then copied
    > back out to these users dir's.

    Like so?

    user1$ scp foobar user2@localhost:

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: scp

    There is no command line for this transfer on the remote system!!

    I did try
    `scp usr1@remote:/whatever usr2@remote:/someother`
    from the internal system,
    but this fails.

    Ian

    > user1$ scp foobar user2@localhost:

  4. Re: scp

    ian> There is no command line for this transfer on the remote system!!
    ian> I did try `scp usr1@remote:/whatever usr2@remote:/someother` from
    ian> the internal system, but this fails.

    Then perhaps you should find out *why* it fails.

    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general...ging.auto.html

    ian> Ian

    >> user1$ scp foobar user2@localhost:

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  5. Re: scp

    On 2006-12-04, ian wrote:
    > There is no command line for this transfer on the remote system!!

    In what way? It has a restricted shell or something?

    > I did try
    > `scp usr1@remote:/whatever usr2@remote:/someother`
    > from the internal system, but this fails.

    That effectively just does:

    ssh usr1@remote "scp /whatever usr2@remote:/someother"

    (try scp -vvv otheroptions to see what it's doing under the covers).

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread