SSH asking for password when it shouldnt - SSH

This is a discussion on SSH asking for password when it shouldnt - SSH ; Here is the debug output that i get when i do ssh and try to login into a remote server: OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 ...

  1. SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    Here is the debug output that i get when i do ssh and try to login into

    a remote server:
    OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to serv1.vtu.org [202.134.239.18] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/thecoolone/.ssh/id_rsa.
    debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
    debug3: key_read: missing keytype
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
    debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
    debug3: key_read: missing keytype
    debug1: identity file /home/thecoolone/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
    debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
    OpenSSH_3.1p1
    debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.1p1 pat OpenSSH_2.*,OpenSSH_3.0*,OpenSSH_3.1*
    debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.9p1
    debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,rijndael-...@lysator.liu.se,aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr

    hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd...@openssh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd...@openssh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd...@openssh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160,hmac-ripemd...@openssh.com,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-md5-96

    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: none,zlib
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit:
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: first_kex_follows 0
    debug2: kex_parse_kexinit: reserved 0
    debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
    debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
    debug2: mac_init: found hmac-md5
    debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
    debug2: dh_gen_key: priv key bits set: 122/256
    debug2: bits set: 488/1024
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename
    /home/thecoolone/.ssh/known_hosts
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: filename
    /home/thecoolone/.ssh/known_hosts
    debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1
    debug1: Host 'serv1.vtu.org' is known and matches the RSA host key.
    debug1: Found key in /home/thecoolone/.ssh/known_hosts:1
    debug2: bits set: 511/1024
    debug2: kex_derive_keys
    debug2: set_newkeys: mode 1
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
    debug2: set_newkeys: mode 0
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
    debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
    debug2: key: /home/thecoolone/.ssh/id_rsa (0x82c2ee8)
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: start over, passed a different list
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: preferred
    gssapi-with-mic,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password
    debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
    debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password
    debug3: authmethod_is_enabled publickey
    debug1: Offering public key: /home/thecoolone/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug3: send_pubkey_test
    debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
    debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
    debug3: remaining preferred: password
    debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
    debug2: userauth_kbdint
    debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
    debug1: Authentications that can continue:
    publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug3: userauth_kbdint: disable: no info_req_seen
    debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
    debug3: authmethod_lookup password
    debug3: remaining preferred:
    debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
    debug1: Next authentication method: password
    I have checked for the permissions of $HOME it is 755 and $HOME/.ssh is

    700
    drwxr-xr-x 4 thecoolone thecoolone 4096 Dec 1 03:53 thecoolone
    drwx------ 2 thecoolone thecoolone 4096 Dec 1 03:36 .ssh
    -rw-r--r-- 1 thecoolone thecoolone 232 Apr 9 2006 id_rsa.pub
    On debug3: is is saying "Not a RSA1 key file
    /home/thecoolone/.ssh/id_rsa."
    and then later "debug1: identity file /home/thecoolone/.ssh/id_rsa type

    1"
    I am not understanding that why at first it says not an RSA type and
    then
    recognises it as type 1?
    Does anyone have a clue on how to make ssh work with passphrase. It was

    working before i tried to make a new crontab for another account and
    now i am reverting back to the old crontab and ssh is asking password.
    Why is the old crontab not working any more?

  2. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    > I am not understanding

    Nor I am I understanding why you keep posting this crap

    DAve

  3. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    gort wrote:
    > > I am not understanding

    > Nor I am I understanding why you keep posting this crap

    You here to just talk crap or help?? If you can't help then don't
    reply. I don't need your 2 cent's comments

  4. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    thecoolone wrote:

    > Here is the debug output that i get when i do ssh and try to login into

    Posting that mess 3 times within 40 minutes will not endear you to
    anyone. Learn how usenet works. Google is not usenet, it is only
    a lame interface to it.

  5. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > thecoolone wrote:
    > >
    > > Here is the debug output that i get when i do ssh and try to login into

    > Posting that mess 3 times within 40 minutes will not endear you to
    > anyone. Learn how usenet works. Google is not usenet, it is only
    > a lame interface to it.
    >
    > --
    > Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.

    He has not yet explained why he's posting to a Linux group and a SCO
    group.
    If the server side of this is an older SCO box, that could explain much
    (because SCO never had ssh until very recently and adding it to some
    older versions could easily be screwed up).

    Also, his posts seem contradictory: crontab didn't work, it did,
    command line worked, it doesn't.... I have no idea what the heck is
    really going on.

    I wash my hands of him. Too hard to extract information.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X Resources

  6. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    "thecoolone" writes:

    > gort wrote:
    > > > I am not understanding

    > > Nor I am I understanding why you keep posting this crap

    > You here to just talk crap or help?? If you can't help then don't
    > reply. I don't need your 2 cent's comments

    For such a cool one, you're
    a) kinda an entitlement minded asshole
    and
    b) oblivious to the fact that you have posted a number of the
    identical or very similar posts with your debug output.

    People are trying to help, but when you screw up and post your crap 10
    times, you have to expect someone to at least mention it.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    Todd H. wrote:

    > > > Nor I am I understanding why you keep posting this crap

    > > You here to just talk crap or help?? If you can't help then don't
    > > reply. I don't need your 2 cent's comments

    > For such a cool one, you're
    > a) kinda an entitlement minded asshole

    I wont even bother responding to such a propositus statement.

    > b) oblivious to the fact that you have posted a number of the
    > identical or very similar posts with your debug output.

    Well it isn't my fault that google doesn't have an edit option to
    modify the post. So the only option i have is to delete the old message
    and repost the edited one. Thats the only reason why i posted the same
    message so many times.

    > People are trying to help, but when you screw up and post your crap 10
    > times, you have to expect someone to at least mention it.

    Since i am a newbie in here. Before someone mentioned kindly that in
    usenet use proper words while typing for help. And i accepted that
    advice without any problem.
    But you guys in here are trying to be smartasses and boss around giving
    advice rudely.
    You don't own the "usenet" , to order me what to do. If you would have
    said the same thing politely i would thank you for your sound
    suggestion. But now i don't give a rat's ass to what you are saying.
    Like i said before I don't need your 2 cent's crap comments

    By the way Chris Davies I thank you for being so patient and answering
    my questions.

  8. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    "thecoolone" writes:

    >Todd H. wrote:

    >> > You here to just talk crap or help?? If you can't help then don't
    >> > reply. I don't need your 2 cent's comments

    >> For such a cool one, you're
    >> a) kinda an entitlement minded asshole

    >I wont even bother responding to such a propositus statement.

    But you did anyway.

    >> b) oblivious to the fact that you have posted a number of the
    >> identical or very similar posts with your debug output.

    >Well it isn't my fault that google doesn't have an edit option to
    >modify the post. So the only option i have is to delete the old message
    >and repost the edited one. Thats the only reason why i posted the same
    >message so many times.

    It sounds to me like you need a new newsreader. And once you send off your
    post you cannot edit it. If you want to change something, then do not
    simply repost it. Noone will see the correction. They will assume that you
    are just posting it multiple times. Instead send a new post saying.
    In my last post I made and error. When I said I was using Linux I meant
    that I was using Windows. ( or whatever the actual error was)

    >> People are trying to help, but when you screw up and post your crap 10
    >> times, you have to expect someone to at least mention it.

    >Since i am a newbie in here. Before someone mentioned kindly that in
    >usenet use proper words while typing for help. And i accepted that
    >advice without any problem.
    >But you guys in here are trying to be smartasses and boss around giving
    >advice rudely.

    You are the one that wants advice. If that is what you want, then you are
    asking other people for favours. That means that sometimes you have to
    accept criticism and just swallow it or say sorry. You did post the same
    thing multiple times. That is NOT a good thing to do, and the proper
    response is "Sorry" Not "Get off my back".

    >You don't own the "usenet" , to order me what to do. If you would have

    NOr do you. YOu are asking for advice. You are asking for a favour.

    >said the same thing politely i would thank you for your sound
    >suggestion. But now i don't give a rat's ass to what you are saying.
    >Like i said before I don't need your 2 cent's crap comments

    Apparently you do give a "rat's ass" since you spent 5 minutes responding.

    >By the way Chris Davies I thank you for being so patient and answering
    >my questions.

    Remember that. And do not discourage others by your attitude.

  9. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    Unruh wrote:
    > "thecoolone" writes:
    >

    > >Todd H. wrote:

    > >> For such a cool one, you're
    > >> a) kinda an entitlement minded asshole

    > >I wont even bother responding to such a propositus statement.

    > But you did anyway.
    >

    > >> b) oblivious to the fact that you have posted a number of the
    > >> identical or very similar posts with your debug output.

    > >Well it isn't my fault that google doesn't have an edit option to
    > >modify the post. So the only option i have is to delete the old message
    > >and repost the edited one. Thats the only reason why i posted the same
    > >message so many times.

    > It sounds to me like you need a new newsreader. And once you send off your
    > post you cannot edit it. If you want to change something, then do not
    > simply repost it. Noone will see the correction. They will assume that you
    > are just posting it multiple times. Instead send a new post saying.
    > In my last post I made and error. When I said I was using Linux I meant
    > that I was using Windows. ( or whatever the actual error was)
    >

    > >> People are trying to help, but when you screw up and post your crap 10
    > >> times, you have to expect someone to at least mention it.

    > >Since i am a newbie in here. Before someone mentioned kindly that in
    > >usenet use proper words while typing for help. And i accepted that
    > >advice without any problem.
    > >But you guys in here are trying to be smartasses and boss around giving
    > >advice rudely.

    > You are the one that wants advice. If that is what you want, then you are
    > asking other people for favours. That means that sometimes you have to
    > accept criticism and just swallow it or say sorry. You did post the same
    > thing multiple times. That is NOT a good thing to do, and the proper
    > response is "Sorry" Not "Get off my back".
    >
    > >You don't own the "usenet" , to order me what to do. If you would have

    > NOr do you. YOu are asking for advice. You are asking for a favour.

    Thank you for your advice.
    I am just curious to know one thing. How can i delete the old posts
    that i posted?? Is there any admin or someone whom i can contact to
    delete my old posts? And are the posts deleted after some period of
    time (i.e inactivity) or are they permanently stored? And finally could
    you suggest a good newsreader for windows?

    > >said the same thing politely i would thank you for your sound
    > >suggestion. But now i don't give a rat's ass to what you are saying.
    > >Like i said before I don't need your 2 cent's crap comments

    > Apparently you do give a "rat's ass" since you spent 5 minutes responding.
    >

    > >By the way Chris Davies I thank you for being so patient and answering
    > >my questions.

    > Remember that. And do not discourage others by your attitude.

  10. Re: SSH asking for password when it shouldnt

    "thecoolone" writes:

    > Thank you for your advice.
    > I am just curious to know one thing. How can i delete the old posts
    > that i posted?? Is there any admin or someone whom i can contact to
    > delete my old posts? And are the posts deleted after some period of
    > time (i.e inactivity) or are they permanently stored? And finally could
    > you suggest a good newsreader for windows?

    With usenet, there is no sure fire way to retract anything. There is
    the notion of a cancel message, but because of abuse of cancel
    features and cancel forgery, etc, fewer and fewer servers will honor
    cancels. Then there's the matter of usenet archives (such as
    groups.google.com, previously dejanews.com, among others). You can
    get it deleted from every archive you find, but there's bound to be an
    archive that won't let you delete.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/