Removing already generated keys - SSH

This is a discussion on Removing already generated keys - SSH ; Here is the scenario. I have 2 servers serv1 and serv2. Previously i had a crontab in serv4 that backed data from serv1 with login as "thecoolone" on both servers. And this crontab was functioning properly before. Now i tried ...

  1. Removing already generated keys

    Here is the scenario. I have 2 servers serv1 and serv2. Previously i
    had a crontab in serv4 that backed data from serv1 with login as
    "thecoolone" on both servers. And this crontab was functioning properly
    before.
    Now i tried to make a new crontab in serv4 under a new login "user1"
    and the same login "thecoolone" on serv1. After i made this crontab and
    tried to execute both the old one and the one i just created, neither
    of them work. And so i want to remove the entry (i.e public key copy
    and authorized_keys entry) that i made on serv1 under "thecoolone"
    login so that atleast the crontab that was working before starts
    working again.

    Anyone know how to do that ??

    Any help is always appreciated.

  2. Re: Removing already generated keys

    J9> Here is the scenario. I have 2 servers serv1 and serv2. Previously
    J9> i had a crontab in serv4 that backed data from serv1 with login as
    J9> "thecoolone" on both servers. And this crontab was functioning
    J9> properly before. Now i tried to make a new crontab in serv4 under
    J9> a new login "user1" and the same login "thecoolone" on
    J9> serv1. After i made this crontab and tried to execute both the old
    J9> one and the one i just created, neither of them work. And so i
    J9> want to remove the entry (i.e public key copy and authorized_keys
    J9> entry) that i made on serv1 under "thecoolone" login so that
    J9> atleast the crontab that was working before starts working again.

    J9> Anyone know how to do that ??

    Note that it is not necessary to copy the public key file to the remote
    side; just to include the key in the remote authorized_keys file.

    If all you did to the "thecoolone" account was edit the authorized_keys
    file, perhaps you messed up the format in doing so? Be careful that each
    entry is only one line and does not get broken up by an editor.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: Removing already generated keys

    Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > J9> Here is the scenario. I have 2 servers serv1 and serv2. Previously
    > J9> i had a crontab in serv4 that backed data from serv1 with login as
    > J9> "thecoolone" on both servers. And this crontab was functioning
    > J9> properly before. Now i tried to make a new crontab in serv4 under
    > J9> a new login "user1" and the same login "thecoolone" on
    > J9> serv1. After i made this crontab and tried to execute both the old
    > J9> one and the one i just created, neither of them work. And so i
    > J9> want to remove the entry (i.e public key copy and authorized_keys
    > J9> entry) that i made on serv1 under "thecoolone" login so that
    > J9> atleast the crontab that was working before starts working again.
    >
    > J9> Anyone know how to do that ??
    >
    > Note that it is not necessary to copy the public key file to the remote
    > side; just to include the key in the remote authorized_keys file.
    >
    > If all you did to the "thecoolone" account was edit the authorized_keys
    > file, perhaps you messed up the format in doing so? Be careful that each
    > entry is only one line and does not get broken up by an editor.

    thank you. i removed the authorized_keys and just created a new one and
    copied the public key content in that and it worked.

+ Reply to Thread