Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp - SSH

This is a discussion on Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp - SSH ; Does ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax hold good for terminating sftp session in case of no dataflow in a SSH channel? What I am looking for is a mechanism by which I can terminate a sftp session, if there is no data ...

  1. Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp

    Does ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax hold good for
    terminating sftp session in case of no dataflow in a SSH channel?

    What I am looking for is a mechanism by which I can terminate a sftp
    session, if there is no data transfer to the server ?

    I tried by setting ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to some
    small values and disconnecting network cables right after the
    connecting establishment. But the sftp does not terminate for a long
    long time.

    Is there a way to cut short this time.

    I am using Openssh 3.6 on RH Linux AS 3.0 kernel 2.4

    thanks

  2. Re: Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp

    In article <1162483891.790772.213920@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>
    "shyam" writes:
    >Does ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax hold good for
    >terminating sftp session in case of no dataflow in a SSH channel?

    Yes.

    >What I am looking for is a mechanism by which I can terminate a sftp
    >session, if there is no data transfer to the server ?
    >
    >I tried by setting ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to some
    >small values and disconnecting network cables right after the
    >connecting establishment. But the sftp does not terminate for a long
    >long time.

    The ClientAlive mechanism is a server-side thing - the server sends
    messages and expects responses, if it doesn't get them it will terminate
    the session. But of course, if you have disconnected the cable, there's
    no way the sftp client program can notice this - it's timeout will be
    entirely controlled by the TCP parameters on the client host. The
    defaults for those vary by OS and they may or may not be settable,
    though generally if there is no attempt to send data the timeout is
    infinite.

    If you want a mechanism within OpenSSH to allow the client to notice
    loss of connectivity to the server, you should thus look at the
    ServerAlive* settings on the client side...

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  3. Re: Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp

    Per Hedeland wrote:
    > In article <1162483891.790772.213920@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>
    > "shyam" writes:
    > >Does ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax hold good for
    > >terminating sftp session in case of no dataflow in a SSH channel?

    > Yes.
    >
    > >What I am looking for is a mechanism by which I can terminate a sftp
    > >session, if there is no data transfer to the server ?
    > >
    > >I tried by setting ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to some
    > >small values and disconnecting network cables right after the
    > >connecting establishment. But the sftp does not terminate for a long
    > >long time.

    > The ClientAlive mechanism is a server-side thing - the server sends
    > messages and expects responses, if it doesn't get them it will terminate
    > the session. But of course, if you have disconnected the cable, there's
    > no way the sftp client program can notice this - it's timeout will be
    > entirely controlled by the TCP parameters on the client host. The
    > defaults for those vary by OS and they may or may not be settable,
    > though generally if there is no attempt to send data the timeout is
    > infinite.
    >
    > If you want a mechanism within OpenSSH to allow the client to notice
    > loss of connectivity to the server, you should thus look at the
    > ServerAlive* settings on the client side...

    I think ServerAlive setting is now available in openssh3.6
    It Might be there in commercial ssh packages , I am not sure
    Is there any other way?

    > --Per Hedeland
    > per@hedeland.org

  4. Re: Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp

    I upgraded to openssh4.3 version from www.openssh.org

    With it using ServerAliveINterval & ServerAliveCountMax still dosnt
    yeild the desired results I wanted

    Any help will be appreciated

    thanks

    shyam wrote:
    > Per Hedeland wrote:
    > > In article <1162483891.790772.213920@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>
    > > "shyam" writes:
    > > >Does ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax hold good for
    > > >terminating sftp session in case of no dataflow in a SSH channel?

    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > >What I am looking for is a mechanism by which I can terminate a sftp
    > > >session, if there is no data transfer to the server ?
    > > >
    > > >I tried by setting ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to some
    > > >small values and disconnecting network cables right after the
    > > >connecting establishment. But the sftp does not terminate for a long
    > > >long time.

    > > The ClientAlive mechanism is a server-side thing - the server sends
    > > messages and expects responses, if it doesn't get them it will terminate
    > > the session. But of course, if you have disconnected the cable, there's
    > > no way the sftp client program can notice this - it's timeout will be
    > > entirely controlled by the TCP parameters on the client host. The
    > > defaults for those vary by OS and they may or may not be settable,
    > > though generally if there is no attempt to send data the timeout is
    > > infinite.
    > >
    > > If you want a mechanism within OpenSSH to allow the client to notice
    > > loss of connectivity to the server, you should thus look at the
    > > ServerAlive* settings on the client side...
    > >

    > I think ServerAlive setting is now available in openssh3.6
    > It Might be there in commercial ssh packages , I am not sure
    > Is there any other way?
    >

    > > --Per Hedeland
    > > per@hedeland.org

  5. Re: Use of ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to terminate sftp

    On 2006-11-02, shyam wrote:
    > Does ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax hold good for
    > terminating sftp session in case of no dataflow in a SSH channel?
    >
    > What I am looking for is a mechanism by which I can terminate a sftp
    > session, if there is no data transfer to the server ?

    No, what those do is send a packet to the client if they have seen one for
    a while, but if the client is still running then it will reply and reset
    the timer without any interaction from the user.

    Basically they help if the client crashes, is killed, rebooted or
    drops off the net, but not if the client is simply idle but otherwise
    ok.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.