Random "remote socket was reset" with SSH - SSH

This is a discussion on Random "remote socket was reset" with SSH - SSH ; Hello I've seen this problem adressed many times but never found a suitable answer. Here is a brief description : An ssh client tries to connect to a sshd server, and it works most of the time. But sometimes, and ...

  1. Random "remote socket was reset" with SSH

    Hello

    I've seen this problem adressed many times but never found a suitable
    answer. Here is a brief description :
    An ssh client tries to connect to a sshd server, and it works most of
    the time. But sometimes, and it's fairly impossible to predict (and
    obviously to reproduce), the connexion fails with a message that said :

    ssh_exchange_identification: read: A connection with a remote socket
    was reset by that socket.

    In my configuration, i had constated that the problem is more likely to
    occur when there are multiple concurrent connexions on the sshd. I had
    done what i can to lessen this number, but now it comes again.

    I have seen two options in the manual page : ClientAliveCountMax and
    ClientAliveInterval. Could someone tell me if they may be related to
    the problem, or not ? They are not present in the ssd_config file on my
    server, so their default values (resp. 3 and 0) applies.

    Unfortunately, i can't debug the problem as i would because the
    environnement can't easily be changed.

    Version of the software is OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
    on AIX 5.3 (client and server are on the same type of soft/hardware).

    Thanks for any help or clue.

    Denis Valdenaire

  2. Re: Random "remote socket was reset" with SSH

    reply to self : i have understand since that "client alive messages"
    will not be sent because ClientAliveInterval is set to zero.

    This has nothing to do with the problem so far.

    Joe Linux wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I've seen this problem adressed many times but never found a suitable
    > answer. Here is a brief description :
    > An ssh client tries to connect to a sshd server, and it works most of
    > the time. But sometimes, and it's fairly impossible to predict (and
    > obviously to reproduce), the connexion fails with a message that said :
    >
    > ssh_exchange_identification: read: A connection with a remote socket
    > was reset by that socket.
    >
    > In my configuration, i had constated that the problem is more likely to
    > occur when there are multiple concurrent connexions on the sshd. I had
    > done what i can to lessen this number, but now it comes again.
    >
    > I have seen two options in the manual page : ClientAliveCountMax and
    > ClientAliveInterval. Could someone tell me if they may be related to
    > the problem, or not ? They are not present in the ssd_config file on my
    > server, so their default values (resp. 3 and 0) applies.
    >
    > Unfortunately, i can't debug the problem as i would because the
    > environnement can't easily be changed.
    >
    > Version of the software is OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
    > on AIX 5.3 (client and server are on the same type of soft/hardware).
    >
    > Thanks for any help or clue.
    >
    > Denis Valdenaire

  3. Re: Random "remote socket was reset" with SSH

    On 2006-10-17, Joe Linux wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I've seen this problem adressed many times but never found a suitable
    > answer. Here is a brief description :
    > An ssh client tries to connect to a sshd server, and it works most of
    > the time. But sometimes, and it's fairly impossible to predict (and
    > obviously to reproduce), the connexion fails with a message that said :
    >
    > ssh_exchange_identification: read: A connection with a remote socket
    > was reset by that socket.

    That's a symptom of the server dropping the connection immediately after
    accept()ing it. Typical causes are a) tcpwrappers (if it happens all the
    time, so probably not in your case unless you have NAT pool or something),
    b) reaching the maximum number of unauthenticated connections, or c)
    the sshd process dying for some reason.

    > In my configuration, i had constated that the problem is more likely to
    > occur when there are multiple concurrent connexions on the sshd. I had
    > done what i can to lessen this number, but now it comes again.

    Sounds like b). Try increasing the MaxStartups setting in sshd_config
    and restarting sshd. The default is 10 so try 20 or 30.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread