where is the logfile? - SSH

This is a discussion on where is the logfile? - SSH ; hi, I'm using openssh for remote administration, but I can't find the logfile on the server machine. I've tried to look in /var/log/ but there isn't anything for ssh. What may I write in sshd_config for logging events and specify ...

  1. where is the logfile?

    hi,
    I'm using openssh for remote administration, but I can't find the
    logfile on the server machine.
    I've tried to look in /var/log/ but there isn't anything for ssh.
    What may I write in sshd_config for logging events and specify logfile
    path?
    Thank you.

  2. Re: where is the logfile?

    "remigio" writes:

    > hi,
    > I'm using openssh for remote administration, but I can't find the
    > logfile on the server machine.
    > I've tried to look in /var/log/ but there isn't anything for ssh.
    > What may I write in sshd_config for logging events and specify logfile
    > path?
    > Thank you.

    sshd logs via the syslog facility, the configuration of which is
    typically in /etc/syslog.conf Usually folks have most things
    logged to /var/log/messages so that's a good first place to look.

    In sshd_config I believe these settings dictate how syslog sees the
    messages, for example:
    SyslogFacility AUTH
    LogLevel INFO

    Then in syslog.conf you could set a separate file for logging auth
    facility messages with a line like

    auth.info /var/log/auth_sshd.log

    Best Regards,
    --