remote backup using sftp - SSH

This is a discussion on remote backup using sftp - SSH ; hi, i have public/private keys configured for my servers and would like to take a backup and sftp to a remote machine i maintain in a colo facility (also configured with public/private keys). can someone recommend a way to do ...

  1. remote backup using sftp

    hi, i have public/private keys configured for my servers and would like
    to take a backup and sftp to a remote machine i maintain in a colo
    facility (also configured with public/private keys). can someone
    recommend a way to do this sftp of the backedup data to the remote
    machine, using a script? essentially my question is how do do the sftp
    transfer without manually having to type the passphrase.

    thx

  2. Re: remote backup using sftp

    "stroller" writes:

    > hi, i have public/private keys configured for my servers and would like
    > to take a backup and sftp to a remote machine i maintain in a colo
    > facility (also configured with public/private keys). can someone
    > recommend a way to do this sftp of the backedup data to the remote
    > machine, using a script? essentially my question is how do do the sftp
    > transfer without manually having to type the passphrase.

    rsync using ssh as transport is one nice option if you have hte
    benefit of an rsync server on the far end.

    Example:
    client$ rsync -avz -e ssh /home/me/ remote.colohost.blah:/home/me123/mybackup

    Or you can do the usual scp thing though it's not as bandwidth
    friendly.

    In ssh parlance, you wish to use public key authentication with a
    private key that has no pass phrase.

    For more on that see:
    http://www.snailbook.com/faq/no-passphrase.auto.html

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: remote backup using sftp

    comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
    > [...]
    > Or you can do the usual scp thing though it's not as bandwidth
    > friendly.

    Why is that?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"

  4. Re: remote backup using sftp

    Randy Yates writes:

    > comphelp@toddh.net (Todd H.) writes:
    > > [...]
    > > Or you can do the usual scp thing though it's not as bandwidth
    > > friendly.

    > Why is that?

    scp copies every file every time, no matter whether it's changed since
    the last sync or not.

    rsync only updates what's changed.

    --
    Todd H.