need help with SMB over SSH - SSH

This is a discussion on need help with SMB over SSH - SSH ; I have 2 Windows XP systems in different locations (different subnets, different ISPs, etc.). They get their IPs via ISP-supplied DHCP. System A has the disk resources I want to use from System B. I want to tunnel SMB over ...

  1. need help with SMB over SSH

    I have 2 Windows XP systems in different locations (different subnets,
    different ISPs, etc.). They get their IPs via ISP-supplied DHCP.
    System A has the disk resources I want to use from System B.

    I want to tunnel SMB over SSH because System A has an ISP that blocks
    SMB (natively port 445, but will try NetBT [139] if that fails). Thus,
    I cannot access shared directories natively.

    I have done tons of research on the project, and tried many solutions.
    The problem I am running into is that all of the documentation on the
    web is either just plain wrong, or does not work, or documented for
    UNIX systems, which evidently does not translate over to the Windows
    XP world.

    I have set up a virtual system locally to test things, and cannot for
    the life of me get SMB over SSH to work. I can tunnel telnet just
    fine. But not SMB. Here is what I have tried so far:

    1. BOTH systems are running Windows XP SP2 with current hotfixes and
    the firewall turned OFF. The 2 test systems are on the same subnet,
    and SMB communication over port 445 works dandy.

    2. I installed CopSSH (tried newest current version and newest preview
    version) on System A. I enabled one account to use SSH, and can
    successfully putty to System A from System B. Works fine.

    3. On System B, using the newest version of putty, I have created a
    tunnel for telnet. Relevent settings are under Connection/SSH/Tunnels,
    and I use the values of 20000 (local listening port for 127.0.0.1) and
    192.168.1.99:23 for the destination. Telnetting to 127.0.0.1 on port
    20000 works fine.

    4. On system B, I installed a loopback NIC, as described on various
    web pages. It uses the settings of 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0, with the
    gateway of my primary NIC (192.168.1.1). I have disabled EVERYTHING
    except TCP/IP on this NIC (no SMB, not NetBT, etc.). Again, only the
    TCP/IP checkbox is checked for this NIC. This has to be done because
    SSH cannot forward a port if that port is in use,and port 445 is used
    on my 192.168.1.x NIC. Thus, I have to use the 10.0.0.1 NIC for
    forwarding port 445. I have installed KB884020, which addresses
    loopback issues.

    5. On system B, I configured the SMB tunnel in putty like so:
    10.0.0.1:445 local listening port and 192.168.1.99:445 for the
    destination. Putty connects just fine, but the tunnel does NOT work. I
    cannot access any resources from System B using \\10.0.0.1.

    Now, I have installed WireShark on System A and sniffed the wire
    during SMB communication attempts. I see the putty traffic just fine
    as I create the tunel. However, no port 445 traffic seems to be
    getting redirected to System A when I try to access \\10.0.0.1
    resources. No traffic at all, actually. There are no incoming or
    outgoing packets.

    This tells me the issue is with System B,that the tunnel is not
    working, most likely the putty configuration. However, I have tried
    everything I know to try, and have failed to get this to work. Can
    someone out there who has successfully tunnelled SMB over SSH on a
    Windows system (preferably XP) please help me out? Please note that
    you need to edit my email by replace "nospam" with "verizon".

    Thanks!
    Please replace the "NoSpam" with "Verizon" in my email address in order
    to reply.
    Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
    Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,Verizon

  2. Re: need help with SMB over SSH

    did you see this article?
    http://research.lumeta.com/ches/chea...lsolution.html

    --
    try a random act of kindness today -- you just might surprise even
    yourself

+ Reply to Thread