connect from Windows XP to OpenSSH server on AIX system - SSH

This is a discussion on connect from Windows XP to OpenSSH server on AIX system - SSH ; I have SSH server running on an RS6000 - AIX system. Currently I use PuTTY to telnet from Windows to the RS6000. I would like to run X11 type GUI applications from the Windows XP client on the RS6000 AIX ...

  1. connect from Windows XP to OpenSSH server on AIX system

    I have SSH server running on an RS6000 - AIX system. Currently I use
    PuTTY to telnet from Windows to the RS6000. I would like to run X11
    type GUI applications from the Windows XP client on the RS6000 AIX
    server. How do I do that? Can I run a KDE desktop somehow in a window
    on the XP system that connects to the RS6000 via OpenSSH?

    thanks,

    -Steve

  2. Re: connect from Windows XP to OpenSSH server on AIX system

    StephenRichter@gmail.com writes:

    > I have SSH server running on an RS6000 - AIX system. Currently I use
    > PuTTY to telnet from Windows to the RS6000. I would like to run X11
    > type GUI applications from the Windows XP client on the RS6000 AIX
    > server. How do I do that? Can I run a KDE desktop somehow in a window
    > on the XP system that connects to the RS6000 via OpenSSH?

    Yes you can.

    You'll need an X server on your pc. Cygwin.com installer has one if
    you select the X11 branch of the installer's tree.

    You'd fire up the X server on your PC, ssh with putty with X fwd'g
    enabled, and test with xclock or xterm to see if that app is pushed
    back to your screen. If that works, then startx or the AIX
    equivalent thereof should fire up the desktop environment you want.
    That's the traditional way of doing things.

    But not the best.

    If you have the luxury of being able to install software on that aix
    server, try to get vnc-server installed on it. VNC is a much more
    efficient protocol, and also features the ability to reconnect to a
    session.

    aixserver$ vncserver :0

    You'll be prompted for a password to make up to secure the server, and
    vncserver wll be listening on tcp/5900.

    Then, back on the windows box, establish a new putty connection to the
    aix server with forwarding of port 5900 of the localhost to port 5900
    of the server. This is important. If you were to use cygwin openssh
    on the windows box to get to the server it'd look like:

    windowsbox$ ssh -L 5900:127.0.0.1:5900 user@my.aixserver.com

    Finally on the windows box, you'd fire up vncviewer and tell it to
    connect to 127.0.0.1:5900 which through the magic of port
    forwarding, connects to the vncserver on the AIX box. You're
    prompted for the password you set above, and voila.

    In putty there is way to set port forward ,but as a SecureCRT and
    command line junkie, I don't have putty handy right now to tell ya
    exactly how.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.