tunnel http/https over SSH - SSH

This is a discussion on tunnel http/https over SSH - SSH ; I've just created a development server that I want restricted to local access only, but allow SSH tunneling, too. (Part of the reason is that I only have one public IP, but I wanted multiple SSL domains.) My router forwards ...

  1. tunnel http/https over SSH

    I've just created a development server that I want restricted to local
    access only, but allow SSH tunneling, too. (Part of the reason is that
    I only have one public IP, but I wanted multiple SSL domains.)

    My router forwards public port 18020 to port 20 on my host machine.

    I tried ssh -p 18020 -L 19000:localhost:19000 gcnovus@my.public.domain,
    and then set up my browser to use localhost:19000 as a proxy for all
    services, but I got:
    channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

    I've read around on the forum, and found some posts about starting the
    connection from inside the firewall, then creating another one within
    that connection, but I won't be around the server to initiate those
    connections. I also noticed some information about an /etc/.hosts
    file, but I'm fairly new to unix and am quite confused.

    If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

    Thanks,
    GCN

  2. Re: tunnel http/https over SSH

    sorry, just to be clear:
    I ran the SSH command from the OutsideTheFirewall (OF) computer, and
    the error message showed up within that SSH connection (though,
    technically, on the IF computer).

    -gcnovus

  3. Re: tunnel http/https over SSH

    gcnovus wrote:

    > I've just created a development server that I want restricted to local
    > access only, but allow SSH tunneling, too. (Part of the reason is that
    > I only have one public IP, but I wanted multiple SSL domains.)
    >
    > My router forwards public port 18020 to port 20 on my host machine.

    You mean port 22 (ssh) not 20 (ftp-data)?

    > I tried ssh -p 18020 -L 19000:localhost:19000 gcnovus@my.public.domain,

    localhost is wrong, it should be the address of your server:
    my.public.domain, but you can also use the internal address if it has
    one.

    You may also look into using parameters -NfC in that tunnel, you need
    at least -N.

    HTH
    --
    René Berber