a server by another name, I cannot connect to! - SSH

This is a discussion on a server by another name, I cannot connect to! - SSH ; I've got to domain names for the same IP. When I ssh using one, it works, when I ssh using the other, it cannot connect. --> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). What can I do to connect using either name? [pjb@linking pjb]$ ...

  1. a server by another name, I cannot connect to!

    I've got to domain names for the same IP. When I ssh using one, it
    works, when I ssh using the other, it cannot connect.
    --> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

    What can I do to connect using either name?

    [pjb@linking pjb]$ nslookup thalassa.informatimago.com
    Server: 213.133.98.97
    Address: 213.133.98.97#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: thalassa.informatimago.com
    Address: 62.93.174.79

    [pjb@linking pjb]$ nslookup darcs.ogamita.com
    Server: 213.133.98.97
    Address: 213.133.98.97#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: darcs.ogamita.com
    Address: 62.93.174.79

    [pjb@linking pjb]$ ssh pjb@thalassa.informatimago.com
    pjb@thalassa.informatimago.com's password:
    Last login: Sun Sep 17 05:15:37 2006 from linking.at
    [pjb@thalassa pjb]$ exit
    exit
    logout
    Connection to thalassa.informatimago.com closed.
    [pjb@linking pjb]$ ssh -v pjb@darcs.ogamita.com
    OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    debug1: Reading configuration data /home/pjb/.ssh/config
    debug1: Applying options for darcs.ogamita.com
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug1: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
    debug1: Applying options for *
    debug1: Connecting to darcs.ogamita.com [62.93.174.79] port 22.
    debug1: Connection established.
    debug1: identity file /home/pjb/.ssh/identity type 0
    debug1: identity file /home/pjb/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
    debug1: identity file /home/pjb/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
    debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_4.3
    debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.3 pat OpenSSH*
    debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
    debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 zlib@openssh.com
    debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 zlib@openssh.com
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
    debug1: Host 'darcs.ogamita.com' is known and matches the RSA host key.
    debug1: Found key in /home/pjb/.ssh/known_hosts:2
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
    debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
    debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
    debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Offering public key: /home/pjb/.ssh/id_rsa
    debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: Offering public key: /home/pjb/.ssh/id_dsa
    debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
    debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
    Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
    [pjb@linking pjb]$

    "By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my
    family. Prepare to die!"

  2. Re: a server by another name, I cannot connect to!

    Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

    > I've got to domain names for the same IP. When I ssh using one, it
    > works, when I ssh using the other, it cannot connect.
    > --> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
    >
    > What can I do to connect using either name?

    [snip]
    > [pjb@linking pjb]$ ssh -v pjb@darcs.ogamita.com
    > OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    > debug1: Reading configuration data /home/pjb/.ssh/config
    > debug1: Applying options for darcs.ogamita.com

    ----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Does your ~/.ssh/config include a section for darcs.ogamita.com (i.e.
    "Host darcs.ogamita.com")?

    If it does, is there a "BatchMode yes" in there?

    If there is, then "passphrase/password querying will be disabled", get
    rid of it.

    Same goes for "PasswordAuthentication no".

    HTH
    --
    René Berber

  3. Re: a server by another name, I cannot connect to!

    "René Berber" writes:

    > Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
    >
    >> I've got to domain names for the same IP. When I ssh using one, it
    >> works, when I ssh using the other, it cannot connect.
    >> --> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
    >>
    >> What can I do to connect using either name?
    >>

    > [snip]
    >> [pjb@linking pjb]$ ssh -v pjb@darcs.ogamita.com
    >> OpenSSH_4.3p2, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
    >> debug1: Reading configuration data /home/pjb/.ssh/config
    >> debug1: Applying options for darcs.ogamita.com

    > ----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > Does your ~/.ssh/config include a section for darcs.ogamita.com (i.e.
    > "Host darcs.ogamita.com")?
    >
    > If it does, is there a "BatchMode yes" in there?
    >
    > If there is, then "passphrase/password querying will be disabled", get
    > rid of it.
    >
    > Same goes for "PasswordAuthentication no".

    Thank you very much!

    Indeed, I had a BatchMode yes for this host.

    Removing it, I can observe finally the same behavior for both domain
    names. Thanks.

    Nobody can fix the economy. Nobody can be trusted with their finger
    on the button. Nobody's perfect. VOTE FOR NOBODY.

+ Reply to Thread