Where is the scp protocol described? - SSH

This is a discussion on Where is the scp protocol described? - SSH ; I notice that when issuing an scp command at the client side, on the server side (at least for OpenSSH) a command is sent to do the copy. This is another scp command, which seems to take options not listed ...

  1. Where is the scp protocol described?

    I notice that when issuing an scp command at the client side, on the
    server side (at least for OpenSSH) a command is sent to do the copy. This
    is another scp command, which seems to take options not listed in the scp
    man pages.

    Anybody know where to find a description of the scp commands sent to
    the server when a client attempts an scp transfer to or from it?

  2. Re: Where is the scp protocol described?

    Frank W. Steiner writes:
    >Anybody know where to find a description of the scp commands sent to
    >the server when a client attempts an scp transfer to or from it?

    The source code of an 'scp' implementation.

    I'm not aware of any document describing the protocol.

  3. Re: Where is the scp protocol described?

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:20:13 +0100, Jacob Nevins wrote:

    > Frank W. Steiner writes:
    >>Anybody know where to find a description of the scp commands sent to the
    >>server when a client attempts an scp transfer to or from it?

    > The source code of an 'scp' implementation.
    >
    > I'm not aware of any document describing the protocol.

    Hmm... How do different implementations manage to interoperate? Did they
    all "copy" an original implementation? Which one was it?

  4. Re: Where is the scp protocol described?

    FWS> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 22:20:13 +0100, Jacob Nevins wrote:
    >> Frank W. Steiner writes:
    >>> Anybody know where to find a description of the scp commands sent
    >>> to the server when a client attempts an scp transfer to or from
    >>> it?

    >> The source code of an 'scp' implementation.
    >>
    >> I'm not aware of any document describing the protocol.

    FWS> Hmm... How do different implementations manage to
    FWS> interoperate?

    They interoperate because the protocol is exceedingly simple.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  5. Re: Where is the scp protocol described?

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:30:30 -0400, Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > >> The source code of an 'scp' implementation.
    > >>
    > >> I'm not aware of any document describing the protocol.

    > FWS> Hmm... How do different implementations manage to FWS>
    > interoperate?
    >
    > They interoperate because the protocol is exceedingly simple.

    But if there is no written specification then some particular
    implementation of scp must be the reference one, right? Which one is it?

  6. Re: Where is the scp protocol described?

    Frank W. Steiner writes:
    >But if there is no written specification then some particular
    >implementation of scp must be the reference one, right? Which one is it?

    There's no particular reason why everyone should have chosen the same
    "reference implementation" to reverse-engineer their SCP implementations
    from.

    I suspect that the de facto "reference implementation" will probably
    turn out to be Ylonen et al's original ssh (which I think invented SCP),
    or its derivative OpenSSH, simply because the source is widely
    available.

  7. Re: Where is the scp protocol described?

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:16:15 +0100, Jacob Nevins wrote:

    > Frank W. Steiner writes:
    >>But if there is no written specification then some particular
    >>implementation of scp must be the reference one, right? Which one is it?

    > There's no particular reason why everyone should have chosen the same
    > "reference implementation" to reverse-engineer their SCP implementations
    > from.
    >
    > I suspect that the de facto "reference implementation" will probably turn
    > out to be Ylonen et al's original ssh (which I think invented SCP), or its
    > derivative OpenSSH, simply because the source is widely available.

    OK, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread