Putty to Linux - SSH

This is a discussion on Putty to Linux - SSH ; Is there a way to convert all saved Putty sessions from Windows version to Linux? Or to any other Linux ssh client for that matter? I have quite a few host settings, and bunch of SSH tunnel definitions on top ...

  1. Putty to Linux

    Is there a way to convert all saved Putty sessions from Windows version to
    Linux? Or to any other Linux ssh client for that matter? I have quite a few
    host settings, and bunch of SSH tunnel definitions on top of them.

    Peter

  2. Re: Putty to Linux

    "Peter" writes:

    > Is there a way to convert all saved Putty sessions from Windows version to
    > Linux? Or to any other Linux ssh client for that matter? I have quite a few
    > host settings, and bunch of SSH tunnel definitions on top of them.

    I'll be damned.... I wasn't aware there was a putty for unix. Hrmm.

    How to get those settings out of the registry and into unix... good
    question.

    This faq can at least get things into a file, but I bet the cross
    platform stuff is part of what they're working on .
    http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty...ml#config-file

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Putty to Linux

    Todd H. wrote:
    > "Peter" writes:
    >
    >> Is there a way to convert all saved Putty sessions from Windows version to
    >> Linux? Or to any other Linux ssh client for that matter? I have quite a few
    >> host settings, and bunch of SSH tunnel definitions on top of them.

    > I'll be damned.... I wasn't aware there was a putty for unix. Hrmm.
    >
    > How to get those settings out of the registry and into unix... good
    > question.
    >
    > This faq can at least get things into a file, but I bet the cross
    > platform stuff is part of what they're working on .
    > http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty...ml#config-file

    Don't know if this helps but I've moved my saved putty sessions from one
    windows machine to another by simply exporting the registry key
    "hkey_current_user\software\SimonTatham" and then importing it on the
    new machine. They're probably stored in a text file in Linux. Perhaps
    you could massage the exported text file into the format the linux
    version wants.

  4. Re: Putty to Linux

    >>> Is there a way to convert all saved Putty sessions from Windows version to
    >>> Linux? Or to any other Linux ssh client for that matter? I have quite a few
    >>> host settings, and bunch of SSH tunnel definitions on top of them.

    >> I'll be damned.... I wasn't aware there was a putty for unix. Hrmm.
    >>
    >> How to get those settings out of the registry and into unix... good
    >> question.
    >>
    >> This faq can at least get things into a file, but I bet the cross
    >> platform stuff is part of what they're working on .
    >> http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty...ml#config-file
    >>

    > Don't know if this helps but I've moved my saved putty sessions from one
    > windows machine to another by simply exporting the registry key
    > "hkey_current_user\software\SimonTatham" and then importing it on the
    > new machine. They're probably stored in a text file in Linux. Perhaps
    > you could massage the exported text file into the format the linux
    > version wants.

    I've looked into this... doable but requires quite a bit of massaging.
    Windows registry stuff has to be split in separate session files, and
    values converted into regular strings (these are like dword:"xxx" in
    Windows)

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread