which is better libssh or libssh2 - SSH

This is a discussion on which is better libssh or libssh2 - SSH ; Hi ALL I am about to start writing a module for bulk transfer of files using sftp. I cant use scripts due to some performance issues amongst others Going through the web I found libssh and linssh2 API available. But ...

  1. which is better libssh or libssh2

    Hi ALL

    I am about to start writing a module for bulk transfer of files using
    sftp.

    I cant use scripts due to some performance issues amongst others
    Going through the web I found libssh and linssh2 API available.

    But as per my knowledge these are not available with REDHAT enterprise
    linux , which is the OS I am going to develop the module.

    Can anybody suggest which one is better option

    thanks
    SHyam

  2. Re: which is better libssh or libssh2

    "shyam" writes:

    >Hi ALL

    >I am about to start writing a module for bulk transfer of files using
    >sftp.

    >I cant use scripts due to some performance issues amongst others
    >Going through the web I found libssh and linssh2 API available.

    >But as per my knowledge these are not available with REDHAT enterprise
    >linux , which is the OS I am going to develop the module.

    Not sure. They are available to mandriva and have been since 2005 (10.2)
    You do not tell us which version of Enterprise.
    Anyway ssh2 is the more recent one and fixes severe secrurity holes in
    ssh from what I know. But why would you write your own implimentation of
    ssh. It is hard to imagine where any performance issues would make writing
    your own better than useing someone elses stuff. The internet is not that
    fast-- ie, transmission timing will swamp any script issues. And sftp is
    probably one of the slowest ways. Why not use scp or rsync instead.
    Espacially rsync if you are transfering the same files over and over.

    >Can anybody suggest which one is better option

    >thanks
    >SHyam

  3. Re: which is better libssh or libssh2

    Unruh wrote:
    > "shyam" writes:
    >
    > >Hi ALL

    > >I am about to start writing a module for bulk transfer of files using
    > >sftp.

    > >I cant use scripts due to some performance issues amongst others
    > >Going through the web I found libssh and linssh2 API available.

    > >But as per my knowledge these are not available with REDHAT enterprise
    > >linux , which is the OS I am going to develop the module.

    > Not sure. They are available to mandriva and have been since 2005 (10.2)
    > You do not tell us which version of Enterprise.

    It is version 3 of enterprise linux

    > Anyway ssh2 is the more recent one and fixes severe secrurity holes in
    > ssh from what I know. But why would you write your own implimentation of
    > ssh.

    I am not planning to write my own implementation but trying to use the
    available APIs

    > It is hard to imagine where any performance issues would make writing
    > your own better than useing someone elses stuff. The internet is not that
    > fast-- ie, transmission timing will swamp any script issues. And sftp is
    > probably one of the slowest ways. Why not use scp or rsync instead.
    > Espacially rsync if you are transfering the same files over and over.

    Its the requirement that I use only sftp and not scp or others

    > >Can anybody suggest which one is better option

    > >thanks
    > >SHyam

  4. Re: which is better libssh or libssh2

    "shyam" writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> "shyam" writes:
    >>
    >> >Hi ALL

    >> >I am about to start writing a module for bulk transfer of files using
    >> >sftp.

    >> >I cant use scripts due to some performance issues amongst others
    >> >Going through the web I found libssh and linssh2 API available.

    >> >But as per my knowledge these are not available with REDHAT enterprise
    >> >linux , which is the OS I am going to develop the module.

    >> Not sure. They are available to mandriva and have been since 2005 (10.2)
    >> You do not tell us which version of Enterprise.

    >It is version 3 of enterprise linux

    >> Anyway ssh2 is the more recent one and fixes severe secrurity holes in
    >> ssh from what I know. But why would you write your own implimentation of
    >> ssh.

    >I am not planning to write my own implementation but trying to use the
    >available APIs

    >> It is hard to imagine where any performance issues would make writing
    >> your own better than useing someone elses stuff. The internet is not that
    >> fast-- ie, transmission timing will swamp any script issues. And sftp is
    >> probably one of the slowest ways. Why not use scp or rsync instead.
    >> Espacially rsync if you are transfering the same files over and over.
    >>

    >Its the requirement that I use only sftp and not scp or others

    Is this a class assignment? If not whoever set the specifications does not
    know what they are talking about. Just write a script and when it runs
    slowly tell them that it is because sftp is being used as they required. If
    they want something that works, use a better transfer protocol

    >> >Can anybody suggest which one is better option

    >> >thanks
    >> >SHyam

  5. Re: which is better libssh or libssh2

    It is not a class assignment

    And the choice of sftp is more so because of security rather than
    performance and speed which will not be a issue since this is going to
    work on a intranet.And script is also out of question because of some
    external interfaces.

    I just wanted an opinion about libssh & libssh2.Are these libraries
    stable enough to be used in a 24x7 operation?

    thanks
    Shyam

    Unruh wrote:
    > "shyam" writes:
    >

    > >Unruh wrote:

    > >> Not sure. They are available to mandriva and have been since 2005 (10.2)
    > >> You do not tell us which version of Enterprise.

    > >It is version 3 of enterprise linux

    > >> Anyway ssh2 is the more recent one and fixes severe secrurity holes in
    > >> ssh from what I know. But why would you write your own implimentation of
    > >> ssh.

    > >I am not planning to write my own implementation but trying to use the
    > >available APIs

    > >> It is hard to imagine where any performance issues would make writing
    > >> your own better than useing someone elses stuff. The internet is not that
    > >> fast-- ie, transmission timing will swamp any script issues. And sftp is
    > >> probably one of the slowest ways. Why not use scp or rsync instead.
    > >> Espacially rsync if you are transfering the same files over and over.
    > >>

    > >Its the requirement that I use only sftp and not scp or others

    > Is this a class assignment? If not whoever set the specifications does not
    > know what they are talking about. Just write a script and when it runs
    > slowly tell them that it is because sftp is being used as they required. If
    > they want something that works, use a better transfer protocol

  6. Re: which is better libssh or libssh2

    "shyam" writes:

    >It is not a class assignment

    >And the choice of sftp is more so because of security rather than
    >performance and speed which will not be a issue since this is going to
    >work on a intranet.And script is also out of question because of some
    >external interfaces.

    security? And how is sftp more secure than scp or rsync over ssh? You said
    there were speed issues and now you say there are no speed issues.
    external interfaces? What does that mean?

    >I just wanted an opinion about libssh & libssh2.Are these libraries
    >stable enough to be used in a 24x7 operation?

    It depends on how you use them.
    As I said AFAIK libssh2 impliments the ssh2 protocol which is more secure
    than the old ssh 1 protocol.

    >thanks
    >Shyam

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> >It is version 3 of enterprise linux

    >> >I am not planning to write my own implementation but trying to use the
    >> >available APIs

    >> >Its the requirement that I use only sftp and not scp or others

    >> Is this a class assignment? If not whoever set the specifications does not
    >> know what they are talking about. Just write a script and when it runs
    >> slowly tell them that it is because sftp is being used as they required. If
    >> they want something that works, use a better transfer protocol

  7. Re: which is better libssh or libssh2

    Unruh wrote:
    > security? And how is sftp more secure than scp or rsync over ssh?

    Well, SFTP does have the advantage over SCP that remote wildcard
    expansion is done in a way which doesn't require the client to trust
    the server's choice of wildcard rules to be what the user was
    expecting. Probably not what the OP meant, but it's there.
    --
    Simon Tatham "Happiness is having a large, warm, loving,
    caring, close-knit family in another city."

+ Reply to Thread