ssh over X11 error - SSH

This is a discussion on ssh over X11 error - SSH ; Hi all, 1) I've got a fedora 4 box running openssh . 2) I can run the xclock program just fine from another linux box to the fedora box using both ssh -X and the unix version of putty with ...

  1. ssh over X11 error

    Hi all,

    1) I've got a fedora 4 box running openssh .
    2) I can run the xclock program just fine from another linux box to the
    fedora box using both ssh -X and the unix version of putty with X11
    forwarding enabled.
    3) I cannot run xclock from any windows machine on our network with a
    remote ssh session going from windows into fedora via putty and X11
    forwarding enabled. The login goes fine and I can run any shell
    command, but when running any X program shuch as xclock it gives me:

    X connection to x.x.x.x:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

    Turning logging on via the putty / windows session , I just see
    MIT-magic-cookie being exchanged and the and the '10.0 broken' error .
    I believe that the windows machine local firewall is disabled.

    Any ideas ?
    Robert

  2. Re: ssh over X11 error

    "robert" writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > 1) I've got a fedora 4 box running openssh .
    > 2) I can run the xclock program just fine from another linux box to the
    > fedora box using both ssh -X and the unix version of putty with X11
    > forwarding enabled.
    > 3) I cannot run xclock from any windows machine on our network with a
    > remote ssh session going from windows into fedora via putty and X11
    > forwarding enabled. The login goes fine and I can run any shell
    > command, but when running any X program shuch as xclock it gives me:
    >
    > X connection to x.x.x.x:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
    >
    > Turning logging on via the putty / windows session , I just see
    > MIT-magic-cookie being exchanged and the and the '10.0 broken' error .
    > I believe that the windows machine local firewall is disabled.
    >
    > Any ideas ?

    Not to insult you, but are you running an X-server on the windows
    machines?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "Bird, on the wing,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % goes floating by

  3. Re: ssh over X11 error

    Randy Yates wrote:
    > "robert" writes:
    >

    > > X connection to x.x.x.x:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
    > >
    > > Turning logging on via the putty / windows session , I just see
    > > MIT-magic-cookie being exchanged and the and the '10.0 broken' error .
    > > I believe that the windows machine local firewall is disabled.
    > >
    > > Any ideas ?

    > Not to insult you, but are you running an X-server on the windows
    > machines?

    No insult taken. Forgot about that - I'm not a windows user ;-) . I'll
    download cygwin / x11 . Thanks for the clue-by-four .

    Robert

+ Reply to Thread