SFTP without service on host PC - SSH

This is a discussion on SFTP without service on host PC - SSH ; I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had it set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private keys. What I want to do is use a program like ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: SFTP without service on host PC

  1. SFTP without service on host PC

    I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had it
    set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private keys.

    What I want to do is use a program like Filezilla to transfer files
    from PCs on the same network as the SSH server, but not on the same PC.
    In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to PC-B
    (same network) and pull/push files to it.

    Is that possible to do w/o SSH on the second PC (PC-B, in my case)? If
    so, how do I do it? If not, is there an easy way to implement it? I'd
    prefer not to install SSH on every PC, and I don't want to have an FTP
    server up on every PC.


  2. Re: SFTP without service on host PC

    gmalbert@gmail.com writes:

    > I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had it
    > set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private keys.
    >
    > What I want to do is use a program like Filezilla to transfer files
    > from PCs on the same network as the SSH server, but not on the same PC.
    > In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to PC-B
    > (same network) and pull/push files to it.


    > Is that possible to do w/o SSH on the second PC (PC-B, in my case)? If
    > so, how do I do it? If not, is there an easy way to implement it? I'd
    > prefer not to install SSH on every PC, and I don't want to have an FTP
    > server up on every PC.


    What OS are these PC's each running?

    Any reason you're hesitant to using the OS's built file sharing
    capabilities?

    There may be reasons to implement an ssh server if you're wanting to
    implement strict security and control over the file transferring, but
    depending on your environment, this may be overkill.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: SFTP without service on host PC

    Todd H. wrote:
    > gmalbert@gmail.com writes:
    >
    >> I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had
    >> it set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private
    >> keys.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is use a program like Filezilla to transfer files
    >> from PCs on the same network as the SSH server, but not on the same
    >> PC. In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to
    >> PC-B (same network) and pull/push files to it.

    >
    >> Is that possible to do w/o SSH on the second PC (PC-B, in my case)?
    >> If so, how do I do it? If not, is there an easy way to implement it?
    >> I'd prefer not to install SSH on every PC, and I don't want to have
    >> an FTP server up on every PC.

    >
    > What OS are these PC's each running?
    >
    > Any reason you're hesitant to using the OS's built file sharing
    > capabilities?
    >
    > There may be reasons to implement an ssh server if you're wanting to
    > implement strict security and control over the file transferring, but
    > depending on your environment, this may be overkill.


    Cygwin with rsync over SSH is also very effective if you just want to push
    snapshots of the contents of client machines.



  4. Re: SFTP without service on host PC

    This is helpful, thanks. Half of the machines are Windows XP and the
    other half are Linux (Ubuntu). I would love to use the built-in
    features of the OS' file sharing, but I've not be able to access the
    machines that way when I'm on the road. I'll typically SSH in and will
    need to access files on remote machines. That would have been helpful
    to mention in my original post, I know.

    If there were something that would interact with the standard file
    sharing within each OS, I'd be more than happy to use that. I tried
    the VPN route, but it added so much overhead and was a gigantic pain to
    set up.

    Any other thoughts?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > gmalbert@gmail.com writes:
    > >
    > >> I currently have an SSH server set up on my router, though I've had
    > >> it set up on a PC in the past. I connect via SSH2 with pub/private
    > >> keys.
    > >>
    > >> What I want to do is use a program like Filezilla to transfer files
    > >> from PCs on the same network as the SSH server, but not on the same
    > >> PC. In other words, if I have SSH on PC-A, I'd like to connect to
    > >> PC-B (same network) and pull/push files to it.

    > >
    > >> Is that possible to do w/o SSH on the second PC (PC-B, in my case)?
    > >> If so, how do I do it? If not, is there an easy way to implement it?
    > >> I'd prefer not to install SSH on every PC, and I don't want to have
    > >> an FTP server up on every PC.

    > >
    > > What OS are these PC's each running?
    > >
    > > Any reason you're hesitant to using the OS's built file sharing
    > > capabilities?
    > >
    > > There may be reasons to implement an ssh server if you're wanting to
    > > implement strict security and control over the file transferring, but
    > > depending on your environment, this may be overkill.

    >
    > Cygwin with rsync over SSH is also very effective if you just want to push
    > snapshots of the contents of client machines.



  5. Re: SFTP without service on host PC

    RoadWarrior wrote:
    > This is helpful, thanks. Half of the machines are Windows XP and the
    > other half are Linux (Ubuntu). I would love to use the built-in
    > features of the OS' file sharing, but I've not be able to access the
    > machines that way when I'm on the road. I'll typically SSH in and will
    > need to access files on remote machines. That would have been helpful
    > to mention in my original post, I know.
    >
    > If there were something that would interact with the standard file
    > sharing within each OS, I'd be more than happy to use that. I tried
    > the VPN route, but it added so much overhead and was a gigantic pain to
    > set up.
    >


    ????

    set up a single vpn server (linux if possible) then use vtund. About as
    simple as you can get. No overhead to speak of and takes about 15
    minutes to set up the first time, and about 1 minute thereafter. Set up
    routes and if you really want you can set up samba to forward netbios
    requests...

    --Yan

+ Reply to Thread