script in crontab - SSH

This is a discussion on script in crontab - SSH ; Hello All, I am a new member of this group.Can some one help me in writing the script for detecting a folder or file creation? I have cygwin SSH running on a Windows 2003 Server.I would like to run a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: script in crontab

  1. script in crontab

    Hello All,

    I am a new member of this group.Can some one help me in writing the
    script for detecting a folder or file creation?

    I have cygwin SSH running on a Windows 2003 Server.I would like to run
    a program everytime a user uploads a folder containing files or just
    files on to a directory.Can someone give me the script that I need to
    put in my crontab file for the required and I would like to run the
    script say every 1hr for detecting folder/file creations and would like
    to run the program based on this.

    Your help is appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Madhuri.M


  2. Re: script in crontab

    madhurikaushik@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a new member of this group.Can some one help me in writing the
    > script for detecting a folder or file creation?
    >
    > I have cygwin SSH running on a Windows 2003 Server.I would like to run
    > a program everytime a user uploads a folder containing files or just
    > files on to a directory.Can someone give me the script that I need to
    > put in my crontab file for the required and I would like to run the
    > script say every 1hr for detecting folder/file creations and would
    > like to run the program based on this.


    This has absolutely nothing to do with SSH, which is a secure protocol for
    sending files or making remote logins or tunneling ports.

    It sounds like you need to set up a source control system such as
    Subversion, or some sort of an hourly snapshot comparison system, say based
    on rsnapshot.



  3. Re: script in crontab

    Hi All,


    One more requirement - I would like to log the changes /creations in a
    new txt file everytime the script runs.

    Thank you,
    Madhuri.M


    madhurikaus...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am a new member of this group.Can some one help me in writing the
    > script for detecting a folder or file creation?
    >
    > I have cygwin SSH running on a Windows 2003 Server.I would like to run
    > a program everytime a user uploads a folder containing files or just
    > files on to a directory.Can someone give me the script that I need to
    > put in my crontab file for the required and I would like to run the
    > script say every 1hr for detecting folder/file creations and would like
    > to run the program based on this.
    >
    > Your help is appreciated.
    > Thank you,
    > Madhuri.M



  4. Re: script in crontab

    Hi Nico,

    Thanks for the quick response.So, you mean to say that I have to use
    rsync or some sort???

    Madhuri.


    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > madhurikaushik@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I am a new member of this group.Can some one help me in writing the
    > > script for detecting a folder or file creation?
    > >
    > > I have cygwin SSH running on a Windows 2003 Server.I would like to run
    > > a program everytime a user uploads a folder containing files or just
    > > files on to a directory.Can someone give me the script that I need to
    > > put in my crontab file for the required and I would like to run the
    > > script say every 1hr for detecting folder/file creations and would
    > > like to run the program based on this.

    >
    > This has absolutely nothing to do with SSH, which is a secure protocol for
    > sending files or making remote logins or tunneling ports.
    >
    > It sounds like you need to set up a source control system such as
    > Subversion, or some sort of an hourly snapshot comparison system, say based
    > on rsnapshot.



  5. Re: script in crontab

    >>>>> "MK" == madhurikaushik@gmail com writes:

    MK> Hi All, One more requirement - I would like to log the changes
    MK> /creations in a new txt file everytime the script runs.

    MK> Thank you, Madhuri.M

    As Nico said, this is not a question about SSH. You would do better
    with a book or newgroup about basic Unix systems administration. Or the
    cron man page.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net


  6. Re: script in crontab

    On 2006-08-11, Richard E. Silverman wrote:

    > with a book or newgroup about basic Unix systems administration.


    Or even http://answers.google.com/answers/browse?catid=1200 where spending
    a few dollars will save the effort of choosing a suitable newsgroup.

    --
    Elvis Notargiacomo master AT barefaced DOT cheek
    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    One of my other 11 computers runs Minix.

  7. Re: script in crontab

    madhurikaushik@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Nico,
    >
    > Thanks for the quick response.So, you mean to say that I have to use
    > rsync or some sort???


    Followup set to comp.os.linux.setup: this is way, way, way off-topic for
    comp.security.ssh

    There are many ways to do this, but I *recommend* using rsync and rsnapshot
    to create an hourly snapshot of the target directory, and run a direct
    "diff" of the target directory and its most recent snapshot. This allows you
    to report, on an hourly basis, on any changed files or directories. That
    won't report changes in permissions: to do that, you can do a
    "rsync -v -aH --dry-run $targetdir/ $snapshotdir/" and check the outputs of
    that.

    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> madhurikaushik@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello All,
    >>>
    >>> I am a new member of this group.Can some one help me in writing the
    >>> script for detecting a folder or file creation?
    >>>
    >>> I have cygwin SSH running on a Windows 2003 Server.I would like to
    >>> run a program everytime a user uploads a folder containing files or
    >>> just files on to a directory.Can someone give me the script that I
    >>> need to put in my crontab file for the required and I would like to
    >>> run the script say every 1hr for detecting folder/file creations
    >>> and would like to run the program based on this.

    >>
    >> This has absolutely nothing to do with SSH, which is a secure
    >> protocol for sending files or making remote logins or tunneling
    >> ports.
    >>
    >> It sounds like you need to set up a source control system such as
    >> Subversion, or some sort of an hourly snapshot comparison system,
    >> say based on rsnapshot.




+ Reply to Thread