redirecting source file from stdin - SSH

This is a discussion on redirecting source file from stdin - SSH ; Hi Guys, I have a process which creates a huge file. too big for my computer to hold and I need to off load it as a standard out data stream from a local application. On the remote system(a windows ...

  1. redirecting source file from stdin

    Hi Guys,

    I have a process which creates a huge file. too big for my computer to
    hold and I need to off load it as a standard out data stream from a
    local application. On the remote system(a windows box), I have access
    to scp for sftp for receiving the file.
    I'm look for a method or command to initiate a move of data from local
    to remove using stdin as the source.

    for example big_file_generator.sh | scp -
    me@remotehost.com:bigfile_on_remote_side.cfg

    I am able to do this with ssh between two unix/unix system when I do
    something like

    big_file_generator.sh | ssh me@remotehost.com "cat - >
    bigfile_on_remote_side.cfg"

    thanks for any light you can shed on this.

  2. Re: redirecting source file from stdin

    Ross wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have a process which creates a huge file. too big for my computer to
    > hold and I need to off load it as a standard out data stream from a
    > local application. On the remote system(a windows box), I have access
    > to scp for sftp for receiving the file.
    > I'm look for a method or command to initiate a move of data from local
    > to remove using stdin as the source.
    >
    > for example big_file_generator.sh | scp -
    > me@remotehost.com:bigfile_on_remote_side.cfg
    >
    > I am able to do this with ssh between two unix/unix system when I do
    > something like
    >
    > big_file_generator.sh | ssh me@remotehost.com "cat - >
    > bigfile_on_remote_side.cfg"
    >
    > thanks for any light you can shed on this.

    can you use the "split" tool in some clever fashion?

  3. Re: redirecting source file from stdin

    In article <1155154995.034135.286370@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    "Ross" writes:

    >I have a process which creates a huge file. too big for my computer to
    >hold and I need to off load it as a standard out data stream from a
    >local application. On the remote system(a windows box), I have access
    >to scp for sftp for receiving the file.
    >I'm look for a method or command to initiate a move of data from local
    >to remove using stdin as the source.
    >
    >for example big_file_generator.sh | scp -
    >me@remotehost.com:bigfile_on_remote_side.cfg

    See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....692c4c87fc96e2

    --Per Hedeland