what is a "download"? - SSH

This is a discussion on what is a "download"? - SSH ; I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in the morning, they begin ...

  1. what is a "download"?

    I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their
    database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for
    viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in
    the morning, they begin to update or they start a scan which may take
    half an hour or more.

    Is their updating and their scanning a download?

    (I cannot ask my provider, because I am writing from Spain, and
    information is hard to get by.)

  2. Re: what is a "download"?

    cantueso@dieznet.com wrote:
    > I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their
    > database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for
    > viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in
    > the morning, they begin to update or they start a scan which may take
    > half an hour or more.
    >
    > Is their updating and their scanning a download?
    >
    > (I cannot ask my provider, because I am writing from Spain, and
    > information is hard to get by.)

    Unfortunately, in this sort of situation, a download is whatever your
    provider says it is, so they're the only ones who can give this
    information.

    Chris Mattern

  3. Re: what is a "download"?

    cantueso@dieznet.com writes:

    >I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their
    >database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for
    >viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in
    >the morning, they begin to update or they start a scan which may take
    >half an hour or more.

    >Is their updating and their scanning a download?

    >(I cannot ask my provider, because I am writing from Spain, and
    >information is hard to get by.)

    Anything that travels over the web is "download". I assume that they scan
    you with the program sitting on your system. To do otherwise would be
    idiotic on your part-- giving away to someone else the knowledge of
    everything on your system seems pretty silly. However their updates are
    certainly downloads.

  4. Re: what is a "download"?

    Chris Mattern writes:

    >cantueso@dieznet.com wrote:
    >> I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their
    >> database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for
    >> viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in
    >> the morning, they begin to update or they start a scan which may take
    >> half an hour or more.
    >>
    >> Is their updating and their scanning a download?
    >>
    >> (I cannot ask my provider, because I am writing from Spain, and
    >> information is hard to get by.)
    >>

    >Unfortunately, in this sort of situation, a download is whatever your
    >provider says it is, so they're the only ones who can give this
    >information.

    No. It is not. bits must travel through their net for it to be considered
    download. bits suffled on your own system are not.

    >Chris Mattern

  5. Re: what is a "download"?

    Unruh ha escrito:

    > cantueso@dieznet.com writes:
    >
    > >I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their
    > >database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for
    > >viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in
    > >the morning, they begin to update or they start a scan which may take
    > >half an hour or more.

    > >Is their updating and their scanning a download?

    > >(I cannot ask my provider, because I am writing from Spain, and
    > >information is hard to get by.)

    > Anything that travels over the web is "download". I assume that they scan
    > you with the program sitting on your system. To do otherwise would be
    > idiotic on your part-- giving away to someone else the knowledge of
    > everything on your system seems pretty silly. However their updates are
    > certainly downloads.

    Yes. That is the way I thought it was. I also believe that the scanning
    program is on my computer, though the scan takes place the moment I go
    online.

    There seem to be ways to read and write on your own computer from
    anopther computer far away. I thought a scan was a similar operation,
    and of course I took it for granted that the scanner can see, read,
    copy or whatever all my files. How otherwise would he ever find a virus
    if ever there were any?

  6. Re: what is a "download"?

    Chris Mattern ha escrito:

    > Unfortunately, in this sort of situation, a download is whatever your
    > provider says it is, so they're the only ones who can give this
    > information.
    >

    > Chris Mattern

    They won't. You are charged by the minute. The customer service people
    answering your call are under orders to run up phone bills. They make
    you repeat your name twice and then ask you to spell it out. They also
    need to know your social security number, contract number, date of
    contract. Silence. They seem to be looking for you on their computer.

    Then they ask you what your question is. You tell them and they say
    that they will pass you on to the technical department while letting
    you hear some Wagner. The technical department thinks that your
    question concerns the law department and they put on the Wagner......

  7. Re: what is a "download"?

    cantueso@dieznet.com writes:

    >Unruh ha escrito:

    >> cantueso@dieznet.com writes:
    >>
    >> >I pay "per download". I have an AVG free antivirus. AVG update their
    >> >database on my computer and periodically they scan my computer for
    >> >viruses. they do this automatically. when I start up the computer in
    >> >the morning, they begin to update or they start a scan which may take
    >> >half an hour or more.

    >> >Is their updating and their scanning a download?

    >> >(I cannot ask my provider, because I am writing from Spain, and
    >> >information is hard to get by.)

    >> Anything that travels over the web is "download". I assume that they scan
    >> you with the program sitting on your system. To do otherwise would be
    >> idiotic on your part-- giving away to someone else the knowledge of
    >> everything on your system seems pretty silly. However their updates are
    >> certainly downloads.

    >Yes. That is the way I thought it was. I also believe that the scanning
    >program is on my computer, though the scan takes place the moment I go
    >online.

    >There seem to be ways to read and write on your own computer from
    >anopther computer far away. I thought a scan was a similar operation,
    >and of course I took it for granted that the scanner can see, read,
    >copy or whatever all my files. How otherwise would he ever find a virus
    >if ever there were any?

    Well, if it is only once you are connected to the net that the scanning
    starts, then I would worry. And I would especailly worry that they could
    read your data. Of course there are ways to read/write your computer from a
    remote one, but it requires collusion with some program on your computer.

  8. Re: what is a "download"?

    Unruh wrote:
    > cantueso@dieznet.com writes:
    >

    > Well, if it is only once you are connected to the net that the scanning
    > starts, then I would worry.

    Yes, I also worried andI stopped the scans.

    > And I would especailly worry that they could
    > read your data.

    I am sure they can. Just as "they" can listen in to your telephone
    coversation and get congressional approvement to do it.

    However, I really do not have anything of interest on my computer, no
    banking, no addresses. If I owned "sensitive" information, I would keep
    it on a disk. I read that such information is sometimes shared on the
    net by letting your friends have access to the drafts kept in your mail
    service.

    I do not think that privacy is being endangered very much by
    commercial companies. The government and more recently popular
    pressure on the legislators are much more to be feared.

    > Of course there are ways to read/write your computer from a
    > remote one, but it requires collusion with some program on your computer.

+ Reply to Thread