"reverse" SOCKS with Putty - SSH

This is a discussion on "reverse" SOCKS with Putty - SSH ; Hi Im trying to build a very freaky kind of tunnel At my school we regulary organise LAN party, outsider are not accepted though. I wish to make a tunnel in order to "forward" the LAN to my home to ...

  1. "reverse" SOCKS with Putty

    Hi
    Im trying to build a very freaky kind of tunnel
    At my school we regulary organise LAN party, outsider are not accepted
    though. I wish to make a tunnel in order to "forward" the LAN to my home
    to let my brother play with us.
    there are no SSH servers on the network used to play at school. Most
    ports are closed. I have a router at home running linux. I was thinking
    to connect to the router by SSH with dynamic forwarding enabled but it
    only allow ME to access Internet though my router. I wish my brother (at
    home) to access the socks tunnel and access the LAN.

    Any help ?

  2. Re: "reverse" SOCKS with Putty

    FS> Hi Im trying to build a very freaky kind of tunnel At my school we
    FS> regulary organise LAN party, outsider are not accepted though. I
    FS> wish to make a tunnel in order to "forward" the LAN to my home to
    FS> let my brother play with us. there are no SSH servers on the
    FS> network used to play at school. Most ports are closed. I have a
    FS> router at home running linux. I was thinking to connect to the
    FS> router by SSH with dynamic forwarding enabled but it only allow ME
    FS> to access Internet though my router. I wish my brother (at home)
    FS> to access the socks tunnel and access the LAN.

    FS> Any help ?

    You can always

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

  3. Re: "reverse" SOCKS with Putty

    FrogSlayer wrote:
    >... I was thinking
    >to connect to the router by SSH with dynamic forwarding enabled but it
    >only allow ME to access Internet though my router. I wish my brother (at
    >home) to access the socks tunnel and access the LAN.

    How about something like this:
    http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/Projects/vpn/

  4. Re: "reverse" SOCKS with Putty

    FrogSlayer writes:
    >At my school we regulary organise LAN party, outsider are not accepted
    >though. I wish to make a tunnel in order to "forward" the LAN to my home
    >to let my brother play with us.
    >there are no SSH servers on the network used to play at school. Most
    >ports are closed. I have a router at home running linux. I was thinking
    >to connect to the router by SSH with dynamic forwarding enabled but it
    >only allow ME to access Internet though my router. I wish my brother (at
    >home) to access the socks tunnel and access the LAN.

    The following considerations would apply to any server-to-client
    equivalent of PuTTY/OpenSSH's "dynamic" SOCKS interface to
    port-forwarding:
    - it would have to be implemented in the SSH server;
    - many SSH clients (including PuTTY) are likely to reject any attempt
    by the server to unilaterally set up forwarded connections, per the
    SHOULD requirement in RFC 4254 7.2.
    I'm not aware of any SSH server implementing this feature (but I haven't
    looked very hard).

    If possible, it would be simpler to set up appropriate remote-to-local
    tunnels for your application in your SSH client.

    If you really need a SOCKS proxy for some reason, you could run a
    standalone proxy server somewhere near the SSH client, point a single
    remote-to-local tunnel at it in the client, and point the SOCKS client
    at home at the server end of the tunnel.

    You should probably consider whether bypassing your school's access
    controls like this is a good idea.

  5. Re: "reverse" SOCKS with Putty

    thx for both answers ill try remote to local tunnels , should be simpler.

    and no i dont think its wrong to setup this kind of things on my shcool
    lan, because i cant see any security flaw in it. I connect to a router
    by SSH (filtered by IP) and the tunnel is only accssible within my LAN.
    besides, admins are former students of the school and play with us at
    these meetings XD.

    i just though...now that ive forwrded the ports im interrested in,
    shouldnt i forward them to the target IP on my LAN ? (using iptables i
    could use some help there too ^^)

  6. Re: "reverse" SOCKS with Putty

    FrogSlayer wrote:
    > thx for both answers ill try remote to local tunnels , should be
    > simpler.
    > and no i dont think its wrong to setup this kind of things on my
    > shcool lan, because i cant see any security flaw in it. I connect to
    > a router by SSH (filtered by IP) and the tunnel is only accssible
    > within my LAN. besides, admins are former students of the school and
    > play with us at these meetings XD.

    Just because you do not see anything wrong with it does not mean your
    school's network administrators will not get angry with you if they catch
    you doing it. Seriously. I'm glad you're on good terms with them: why not
    ask them about doing this, and if they'd mind?

+ Reply to Thread