Can't connect using IPV6 - SSH

This is a discussion on Can't connect using IPV6 - SSH ; I've been using OpenSSH for years, so I understand the simple stuff. I'm setting up IPV6 on a small network now and can't seem to get it to work. I have two machines with linux 2.4.31 kernels compiled for IPV6, ...

  1. Can't connect using IPV6

    I've been using OpenSSH for years, so I understand the simple stuff.
    I'm setting up IPV6 on a small network now and can't seem to get it to
    work. I have two machines with linux 2.4.31 kernels compiled for IPV6,
    and everything works properly using their IPV4 addresses. Both machines
    have a link local IPV6 address set up on the same ethernet device that
    is also set up with an IPV4 address, and I can ping6 back and forth
    between the two.

    When I try to connect from one to the other using ssh, all I get is:

    root@Linux1:~# ssh -vvv -6 fe80::5efe:192.168.1.1
    OpenSSH_4.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to fe80::5efe:63.205.166.236 [fe80::5efe:c0a8:101]
    port 22.
    debug1: connect to address fe80::5efe:c0a8:101
    ssh: connect to host fe80::5efe:192.168.1.1 port 22: Invalid argument
    root@Linux1:~#

    I've tried various different types of IPV6 addresses, including the
    automatically configured one. I've also tried using the -b switch to
    bind ssh to its ipv6 address. In that case, I get an additional debug
    message complaining about an invalid argument in the bind execution.

    Is this happening because I have ipv4 configured on the ethernet device
    at the same time?

    Any ideas?

    Bruce

  2. Re: Can't connect using IPV6

    On 2006-07-22, Bruce Penrod wrote:

    > ssh: connect to host fe80::5efe:192.168.1.1 port 22: Invalid argument

    If you run it under strace will it tell you what arguments were used and
    so give you a further clue?

    This is a line from strace output using IPv4 and broken for convenient
    newsreading.

    connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(22),
    sin_addr=inet_addr("217.155.xxx.yyy")}, 16) = 0

    http://www.notatla.org.uk/goen/
    One of my other 11 computers runs Minix.

  3. Re: Can't connect using IPV6

    Thanks for that. I was able to see that the connect() call didn't like
    the address argument. After a little more ipv6 research, I discovered
    that the link scope ipv6 addresses must have a link specified, i.e. the
    interface/device. This means that such addresses must be done like this:

    fe80::5efe:192.168.1.1%eth0

    Some commands, like ping6 have an argument to allow specifying the
    device separately, but ssh does not. If I had set up global scope
    addresses this wouldn't have happened and I would have missed the
    opportunity to learn this.

    Bruce

    all mail refused wrote:
    > On 2006-07-22, Bruce Penrod wrote:
    >

    >>ssh: connect to host fe80::5efe:192.168.1.1 port 22: Invalid argument

    > If you run it under strace will it tell you what arguments were used and
    > so give you a further clue?
    >
    > This is a line from strace output using IPv4 and broken for convenient
    > newsreading.
    >
    > connect(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(22),
    > sin_addr=inet_addr("217.155.xxx.yyy")}, 16) = 0

+ Reply to Thread