SCP or SFTP recovery mode? - SSH

This is a discussion on SCP or SFTP recovery mode? - SSH ; Is there a recovery mode for SCP or SFTP? i.e. If the file transfer fails, the next time the file is transfered it will pick up where it left off. I haven't been able to find it as built in ...

  1. SCP or SFTP recovery mode?

    Is there a recovery mode for SCP or SFTP?

    i.e. If the file transfer fails, the next time the file is transfered
    it will pick up where it left off.

    I haven't been able to find it as built in feature or a command line
    option.

    Thanks

  2. Re: SCP or SFTP recovery mode?

    mylists@pinesalad.net wrote:
    > Is there a recovery mode for SCP or SFTP?
    >
    > i.e. If the file transfer fails, the next time the file is transfered
    > it will pick up where it left off.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find it as built in feature or a command line
    > option.

    There isn't. About the easiest you can do is to use "rsync -e
    ssh -avvH --delete", to precisely mirror the contents between the source and
    the target.

  3. Re: SCP or SFTP recovery mode?

    > There isn't. About the easiest you can do is to use "rsync -e
    > ssh -avvH --delete", to precisely mirror the contents between the source and
    > the target.

    Thanks for that.

    Unfortunatly I'm not mirroring and have alot of file
    renaming/moving/removing going on.

    I found this blurb on the WinSCP site in regards to SFTP protocol:

    http://winscp.net/eng/docs/resume

    "...resuming file transfers is supported only for SFTP version 2 and
    newer (most of the current SFTP servers). There is another method
    supported even for the older servers (but not for SFTP version 4 and
    newer for ASCII/text transfers)."

    Sounds like it's there, but the standard sftp client doesn't support
    it??

    ..

  4. Re: SCP or SFTP recovery mode?

    mylists@pinesalad.net wrote:
    >> There isn't. About the easiest you can do is to use "rsync -e
    >> ssh -avvH --delete", to precisely mirror the contents between the
    >> source and the target.

    > Thanks for that.
    >
    > Unfortunatly I'm not mirroring and have alot of file
    > renaming/moving/removing going on.
    >
    > I found this blurb on the WinSCP site in regards to SFTP protocol:
    >
    > http://winscp.net/eng/docs/resume
    >
    > "...resuming file transfers is supported only for SFTP version 2 and
    > newer (most of the current SFTP servers). There is another method
    > supported even for the older servers (but not for SFTP version 4 and
    > newer for ASCII/text transfers)."
    >
    > Sounds like it's there, but the standard sftp client doesn't support
    > it??

    Huh. Interesting. I'm seeing nothing in the OpenSSH sftp or sftp-server man
    pages to indicate support for this.

  5. Re: SCP or SFTP recovery mode?

    > Huh. Interesting. I'm seeing nothing in the OpenSSH sftp or sftp-server man
    > pages to indicate support for this.

    Yes, that's why I was asking.

    Looking at the mailing list archives for OpenSSH, it looks like there
    have been discussions about it going back to 2002. There have been a
    couple of proposed patches fo eariler versions of OpenSSH and a more
    recent (and somewhat lengthy discussion) about implementing it in scp.

    Again, it sounds like the functionality is there but there hasn't been
    an agreement on how to implement it in OpenSSH.

    I found a few more Windows based clients that are claiming to support
    this feature over sftp protocol, but I haven't found a command line
    version for Unix that does.

  6. Re: SCP or SFTP recovery mode?

    mylists@pinesalad.net writes:
    >Again, it sounds like the functionality is there but there hasn't been
    >an agreement on how to implement it in OpenSSH.

    The SFTP protocol supports resuming file transfers (this follows
    naturally from its design).

    >I found a few more Windows based clients that are claiming to support
    >this feature over sftp protocol, but I haven't found a command line
    >version for Unix that does.

    PSFTP can be built for Unix, and supports "reget" and "reput" commands.

+ Reply to Thread