New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY - SSH

This is a discussion on New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY - SSH ; Hi, I am brand new to this Linux business and I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing. I have a class that allows me to remotely connect to a Linux lab and submit my work without having to actually ...

  1. New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY

    Hi, I am brand new to this Linux business and I'm still not quite sure
    what I'm doing. I have a class that allows me to remotely connect to a
    Linux lab and submit my work without having to actually be there. The
    Professor told us we could use PuTTY or some other program and while I
    can get it to work on my Windows OS, I'm not sure what to do with the
    Unix files provided on the PuTTY website. I've read the documentation
    provided in the README, but I still can't seem to make any sense of it.
    Help!

  2. Re: New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY

    wrote in message
    news:1152721812.679123.301650@s13g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, I am brand new to this Linux business and I'm still not quite sure
    > what I'm doing. I have a class that allows me to remotely connect to a
    > Linux lab and submit my work without having to actually be there. The
    > Professor told us we could use PuTTY or some other program and while I
    > can get it to work on my Windows OS, I'm not sure what to do with the
    > Unix files provided on the PuTTY website. I've read the documentation
    > provided in the README, but I still can't seem to make any sense of it.
    > Help!

    Being a user, you probably don't have to do anything with the Linux files.
    Those are for the person setting up the ssh server, which has apparently
    already been done for you.

    If you have PuTTY installed on your computer, the next step is to find out
    from the prof how you make the connection. He'll probably give you a URL to
    connect to, and and name and password if you don't already have one. Plug
    those into PuTTY (either the GUI or the command line version) and see if you
    can connect to the ssh server.
    --
    Gerry

  3. Re: New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY

    jubby2000@gmail.com writes:
    >The Professor told us we could use PuTTY or some other program and
    >while I can get it to work on my Windows OS, I'm not sure what to do
    >with the Unix files provided on the PuTTY website.

    I assume your question relates to using an SSH _client_ on a Linux
    machine.

    If your client machine is running Ubuntu Linux, you shouldn't need to
    download stuff from the PuTTY website, as there is a packaged version
    available for Ubuntu, in the "universe" repository, for instance:

  4. Re: New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY

    Jacob Nevins writes:

    >jubby2000@gmail.com writes:
    >>The Professor told us we could use PuTTY or some other program and
    >>while I can get it to work on my Windows OS, I'm not sure what to do
    >>with the Unix files provided on the PuTTY website.

    >I assume your question relates to using an SSH _client_ on a Linux
    >machine.

    >If your client machine is running Ubuntu Linux, you shouldn't need to
    >download stuff from the PuTTY website, as there is a packaged version
    >available for Ubuntu, in the "universe" repository, for instance:

    ?? Why would you use putty on Ubuntu? You already have openssh installed,
    but server and client.
    Ie, do not use putty on the Linux side. Use ssh.

  5. Re: New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY

    In comp.security.ssh Jacob Nevins :
    > jubby2000@gmail.com writes:
    >>The Professor told us we could use PuTTY or some other program and
    >>while I can get it to work on my Windows OS, I'm not sure what to do
    >>with the Unix files provided on the PuTTY website.

    > I assume your question relates to using an SSH _client_ on a Linux
    > machine.

    > If your client machine is running Ubuntu Linux, you shouldn't need to
    > download stuff from the PuTTY website, as there is a packaged version
    > available for Ubuntu, in the "universe" repository, for instance:

    Why on earth would you want to install Putty on some Linux
    system? Chances are pretty high at least the openssh-client
    package is already installed per default.

    Just open the next xterm/kvt and enter:

    scp filename remote_server:

    Presuming local and remote user are the same, enter password and
    the file will be copied into your $HOME on remote_server.

    #bofh excuse 377: Someone hooked the twisted pair wires into
    the answering machine.

  6. Re: New to Ubuntu Linux and PuTTY

    You can find useful examples on how to use ssh in this blog
    http://linuxtat.blogspot.com/2006/07...-with-ssh.html

    Claudio

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > In comp.security.ssh Jacob Nevins :
    > > jubby2000@gmail.com writes:
    > >>The Professor told us we could use PuTTY or some other program and
    > >>while I can get it to work on my Windows OS, I'm not sure what to do
    > >>with the Unix files provided on the PuTTY website.

    > > I assume your question relates to using an SSH _client_ on a Linux
    > > machine.

    > > If your client machine is running Ubuntu Linux, you shouldn't need to
    > > download stuff from the PuTTY website, as there is a packaged version
    > > available for Ubuntu, in the "universe" repository, for instance:
    > >

    > Why on earth would you want to install Putty on some Linux
    > system? Chances are pretty high at least the openssh-client
    > package is already installed per default.
    >
    > Just open the next xterm/kvt and enter:
    >
    > scp filename remote_server:
    >
    > Presuming local and remote user are the same, enter password and
    > the file will be copied into your $HOME on remote_server.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
    > mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    > #bofh excuse 377: Someone hooked the twisted pair wires into
    > the answering machine.

+ Reply to Thread