SFTP working but not SSH - SSH

This is a discussion on SFTP working but not SSH - SSH ; When I use the sftp command to connect to the host server, it connects and allows me to download the files. But if I use the "ssh" to connect then it says This account is restricted by rssh. Allowed commands: ...

  1. SFTP working but not SSH

    When I use the sftp command to connect to the host server, it connects
    and allows me to download the files. But if I use the "ssh" to connect
    then it says

    This account is restricted by rssh.
    Allowed commands: sftp

    If you believe this is in error, please contact your system
    administrator.

    Connection to host server closed.

    I am using NET::SFTP perl module to connect automatically to the SFTP
    Server. The NET::SFTP perl module uses NET::SSH::PERL module which
    intern uses "ssh" to login into the host server, because of which I am
    getting a "Broken pipe error"

    I wanted to know if the Port is open for SFTP, should it work for SSH
    also OR should I have a port available for SSH on the Host server. if
    Yes Can the port for SSH and SFTP be the same?

    Please Help.

  2. Re: SFTP working but not SSH

    shalinikolli@gmail.com wrote:
    > I wanted to know if the Port is open for SFTP, should it work for SSH
    > also OR should I have a port available for SSH on the Host server. if
    > Yes Can the port for SSH and SFTP be the same?

    There is no port difference, they are the same. Everything connects on
    port 22. But after connecting, the server must run a program. The
    default for 'ssh' is to run a local shell. For 'sftp', it'll run a sftp
    server.

    It sounds like instead the account runs a specific program that
    interprets the incoming request and prints a denial and exits if that
    request is not for sftp.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: SFTP working but not SSH

    Thank you for your answer. I just wanted to confirm if the The system
    Administrator on the host side has to open the SSH port for me. The
    error I am recieving is because they are using a program called rssh
    which allows access only to sftp and nothing else. I think the host
    server should not use this program in order for me to access ssh.

    Thank you once again for the answer.

    Darren Dunham wrote:
    > shalinikolli@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I wanted to know if the Port is open for SFTP, should it work for SSH
    > > also OR should I have a port available for SSH on the Host server. if
    > > Yes Can the port for SSH and SFTP be the same?

    > There is no port difference, they are the same. Everything connects on
    > port 22. But after connecting, the server must run a program. The
    > default for 'ssh' is to run a local shell. For 'sftp', it'll run a sftp
    > server.
    >
    > It sounds like instead the account runs a specific program that
    > interprets the incoming request and prints a denial and exits if that
    > request is not for sftp.
    >
    > --
    > Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com
    > Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http://www.taos.com/
    > Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area
    > < This line left intentionally blank to confuse you. >

+ Reply to Thread