Setting up a proxy server - SSH

This is a discussion on Setting up a proxy server - SSH ; I'd like to set up my home computer to act as a proxy server for browsing when I'm away from home. I know how to set up everything on the client side (within my browser), but I've always used public ...

  1. Setting up a proxy server

    I'd like to set up my home computer to act as a proxy server for
    browsing when I'm away from home.

    I know how to set up everything on the client side (within my browser),
    but I've always used public proxy servers. After googling for stuff, I
    get the impression that I'll need to do something involving SSH
    tunneling. With the proxy servers I've used, I never needed to open up
    putty and set up forwarding that way. I just entered in the IP and
    port of the server. Is there a site or quick list of directions that I
    could go to for more information? (Even if I have to run an SSH client
    on both my home and remote computers.)

    I'm new to this stuff. Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

  2. Re: Setting up a proxy server

    skissors> I'd like to set up my home computer to act as a proxy server
    skissors> for browsing when I'm away from home.

    skissors> I know how to set up everything on the client side (within
    skissors> my browser), but I've always used public proxy servers.
    skissors> After googling for stuff, I get the impression that I'll
    skissors> need to do something involving SSH tunneling.

    You don't *have* to use SSH; you could use an HTTP proxy like squid, with
    authentication, for example, or a socks5 proxy.

    --
    Richard Silverman
    res@qoxp.net

+ Reply to Thread